What are the cheapest and easiest ways to green your home?

The Cheapest and Easiest Ways to Green Your HomeCongratulations! If you are thinking of greening your home, you are on the right track to enhancing and protecting your family’s health.

I know it can feel like you’re being the furthest thing from frugal when you decide to ditch large containers of bleach, Windex, and the like, but if you go green the right way, it will be cheap, easy, and life changing!

Why green my home?
The biggest reasons relate to the links between environmental exposures and pediatric diseases and cancer, as well as asthma, autism, and pregnancies resulting in developmental defects in babies.

Where can I buy inexpensive eco-friendly and non-toxic products?
Use Vitacost.com. Their slogan is that they take the cost out of healthy living, and I absolutely agree. Their products are heavily discounted, and I always feel like I am getting a great deal when I place an order there. If you use this link, you will get $10 off your first order, and I will get a $10 credit.

If I can only afford to buy THREE non-toxic products, what should I buy?
1. White Vinegar
Filling an old spray bottle with half white vinegar and half water (and a little essential oil like lavender or eucalyptus if you want it to smell pretty) is all you need to use to safely clean your entire home. One gallon of white vinegar should be priced at under $3, and it lasts a long time!

2. Baking Soda
If you need to give your cleaning mixture more scrubbing action, just add baking soda! A box of baking soda is also under $3.

3. Dr. Bronner’s Organic Pure Castile Liquid Soap
A 32 ounce bottle of Dr. Bronner’s lasts a very long time because a little goes a long way, and it is currently $15.29 on Vitacost. If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, they always have the peppermint version of the soap for only $9.99! This soap can be used as body soap, baby soap, dish soap, hand soap, or shampoo. There is an amazing selection of scents, and you can’t find a more pure and non-toxic product.

What are your tips for the easiest and cheapest ways to go green? If you haven’t greened your home yet, what are your hesitations?

This post is linked up at Natural Living Monday, Natural Living Thursday, Friday Flash Blog Hop, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tuesday Greens, Simply Natural Saturdays.

1 Jaime July 19, 2013 at 9:42 am

I get by mostly with the first two! SO much cheaper!
Jaime recently posted..K’s Toddler Tips – Never Squeeze Your Baby BrotherMy Profile

2 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 21, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Yes, it is a HUGE cost savings!

3 Sarah @ Nature's Nurture July 19, 2013 at 10:29 am

I can’t live without these 3 products! It feels so good to replace a cabinet full of expensive, toxic chemicals with just 3 cheap, natural ingredients. :)
Sarah @ Nature’s Nurture recently posted..Homemade Air Fresheners: Room & Carpet DeodorizersMy Profile

4 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 21, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Yes, it really does feel great to complete that replacement process! I wish everyone knew how wonderful it feels :-)

5 Jennifer July 21, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Thanks for linking up with the Friday Flash Blog. I hope you checked out the highlighted posts as well as everyone’s terrific entries. Have a fabulous weekend!

Jennifer
thejennyevolution.com

6 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I did! Thanks, Jennifer!

7 Kristine July 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I wish I thought of adding in essential oil with my vinegar just days ago. I read that vinegar was great in getting rid of mould in my bathroom but now my bathroom smells like vinegar. Will know for next time.
Kristine recently posted..Want to Have a Beautiful Garden Wedding?My Profile

8 Michelle I. July 22, 2013 at 6:22 am

We use all the same! Love Vitacost!!

9 Becky July 22, 2013 at 9:07 am

Thanks for some great tips and easy ways to get started on Greening your home. Hope to see you again this week for Tuesday Greens!
Becky recently posted..Exfoliate with Radiantly YouMy Profile

10 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

Thanks, Becky!

11 Laura July 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

I do just about anything with white vinegar! love it… at least now I’m not going berserk when the baby eats floorfood!
Laura recently posted..25 Embarrasing Things Kids SayMy Profile

12 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 22, 2013 at 11:19 am

Exactly! When my first child started licking the floors, I was so relieved that we used only vinegar to clean them!

13 Regina Ryerson July 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm

As a pro green cleaner, the 3 products I use most are organic castile soap, organic vinegar, and baking soda. Here’s how I use them http://reginaryerson.com/simple-cleaners/

That said, vinegar has its limitations. It’ won’t cut oils or grease. And it can damage unsealed grout and stone. However, it clears up baking soda residues fast!

14 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Good to know about vinegar damaging unsealed grout and stone! I haven’t used it on those things before. Thanks!

15 Kristen July 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Nice post. I’ve been using Dr. Bronner’s for…gosh…maybe twelve years, now.
Kristen recently posted..future vet camp at the Children’s Museum of PhoenixMy Profile

16 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 23, 2013 at 7:57 am

Thanks! Yes, Dr. Bronner’s is such a time tested and reliable brand!

17 Stacey Roberson July 23, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Baking Soda is a must in our house – non-toxic and it cleans and deodorizes. I’ve noticed that eco-friendly products are a little more expensive, but definitely worth it with little ones around.

18 Carissa Joslyn August 2, 2013 at 9:28 am

These are great tips. I’m trying to be more green, we use cloth diapers, cloth wipes/most of the time cloth paper towels. I want to get more mama cloth as well. We’re slowly getting there! baby steps. Also I’m trying to take REd #40 out of our diet to see if it will help my son, who has ADHD and mild brain damage due to strokes. His anger is crazy out of control.

19 Charise Rohm Nulsen August 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

Thanks! You are taking such important steps. Good for you! I’ve heard removing artificial dyes can make a huge impact on kids with ADHD. I really hope it helps!

20 Whitney August 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

We use all of the above and add essential oils for a little bit of pleasant smell. We use vinegar for everything around our house, I don’t think we could live without it! haha :)
Whitney recently posted..Summit Lake HikeMy Profile

21 Best Organic Antibacterial Shower Soap April 1, 2014 at 3:54 am

I believe natural products are luxurious tool in keeping your home, family and skin healthy. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.
Best Organic Antibacterial Shower Soap recently posted..Defense Soap… Anti-Fungal Soap Ingredients for Ringworm, Jock Itch and Athletes Foot.My Profile