The Natural Emergency Kit That I Always Carry in My Diaper Bag

Welcome to the May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting: Emergency Preparedness

This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month our participants have shared their plans to keep their families safe. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

***

The All Natural Emergency Kit in My Diaper BagWith an 11 month old and an almost three year old, I like to be prepared for whatever I can when we are out and about. We spend a lot of time outside of our home – at children’s classes, activities, play spaces, and play dates – and there are certain natural items I rely on to get us through the little accidents that so often happen to little ones at these ages.

Here are the items you will always find in my backpack, aka diaper bag:

1. Arnica:
If you’re not familiar with arnica, it’s a homeopathic remedy made from a flower in the sunflower family that has the most amazing healing properties when it comes to bumps, bruises, and soreness. I have found that if I apply arnica to an injury within the first ten minutes of when it happened, the swelling goes away almost immediately. I really could not get by without it!

I actually keep three different kinds of arnica in my bag:
- Whole Foods’ 365 brand of arnica gel

- Hyland’s Bump ‘n Bruises Ointment with Arnica: This is kind of like a big tube of chap stick, so it’s really easy to get on a squirming little one.

- Hyland’s Arnica Montana, 30X, Tablets: If the bump or bruise also has broken skin in the area, a couple of these tablets on the tongue really help – although not as much as the gel or ointment.

2. Chamomilla 30X Tablets
This is really helpful with teething, but it also helps so much with the hysterical behavior that can also accompany an injury when your child is scared and hurting. I find that chamomilla takes the edge off and really helps my children calm down when they are faced with a big physical challenge.

3. Seventh Generation Free and Clear Baby Wipes:
If I need to clean up an injury or clean my hands before touching an injury, I like having these non-toxic and naturally based wipes handy at all times.

4. Badger Antibug Twist Stick:
Now that the warm weather is here, I consider keeping the bugs off my children a major priority. We live in an area with lots of mosquitoes (and West Nile Virus has been found in the mosquitoes here) and ticks. When we spend time outside, I like having a certified organic, all natural stick of anti-bug balm to swipe on to my kids and myself.

5. Cloth Wipes
Cloth wipes are perfect for putting pressure on a wound, wiping noses (or other bodily fluid messes), and drying injuries or tears.

What emergency items do you keep in your purse or diaper bag?

***

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

(This list will be updated by afternoon May 14 with all the carnival links.)

Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.

1 Amy K May 14, 2013 at 7:59 am

Never knew about Arnica – will have to check it out, sounds handy!!

2 Dionna @ Code Name: Mama May 14, 2013 at 10:04 am

Great list! I carry Arnica (by the way, I just found a new “bumps and bruises” concoction through Frontier, I’ll let you know if it is good) and Calendula cream. I also need to put in our bug stuff (I like the Natural Newborn’s bug spray, and I’ve ordered a new sting salve from Frontier this month as well).
Dionna @ Code Name: Mama recently posted..Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from ChokingMy Profile

3 Lauren @ Hobo Mama May 14, 2013 at 4:58 pm

It’s so great to have your go-to remedies handy when you need them! Thanks for sharing your list. I love it when I can reach into my bag and actually find just the thing I need for the situation!
Lauren @ Hobo Mama recently posted..Pack a car safety kit: 25 must-have items for emergenciesMy Profile

4 Luschka May 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Fab list! Arnica is a must. Even lOOKiNG at the tube is pain relief to a toddler! I don’t really carry a nappy bag much anymore, but these are great to keep handy anyway!

5 Angela May 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Great ideas, I will be adding a few items to my purse. Thank you!
Angela recently posted..Every Day Is Mother’s Day To MeMy Profile

6 Kristine May 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Love getting product recs from someone I can trust. Thanks for this great list!
Kristine recently posted..Emergency Preparedness: Cosleeping, Cheezits, ChocolateMy Profile

7 Jennifer @ Hybrid Rasta Mama May 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Heh! Sounds like my purse only I stuff that puppy with about a dozen other natural remedies. But they have not only come in handy for me and my family but for strangers as well. Great list!

8 Lisa Nelson May 15, 2013 at 7:27 am

Fantastic list!

I have never thought of most of these things.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Lisa Nelson recently posted..Happiness is________Leaving those Shoes at the DoorMy Profile

9 Amanda May 16, 2013 at 6:11 pm

What brand of sunscreen do you use?

10 Charise Rohm Nulsen May 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Badger is our favorite. :-)

11 Maryann D. May 18, 2013 at 8:30 am

Terrific idea’s. I always planned ahead when my kids were young. I never left home without some wipes for messes.

12 jana May 20, 2013 at 8:13 am

Good tip on carrying some arnica. I’ll have to add some to our diaper bag as well – especially now that our little one is mobile!
jana recently posted..Fire Boxes for Emergency PreparednessMy Profile

13 Shannon @ GrowingSlower May 20, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Great idea Charise! I’ve been meaning to do this, but haven’t quite gotten around to it! Now with E getting older there are a lot more bumps and bruises to treat. He’s getting so adventurous!
Shannon @ GrowingSlower recently posted..How I Potty Trained my 20 Month Old BoyMy Profile

14 Stacey Roberson July 25, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Arnica is a new one on me. This is definitely something I need to look into and buy. My little guy turns one tomorrow, so there will be lots of bumps and bruises to come, I’m sure.

15 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 26, 2013 at 7:22 am

You will love it! I use it on my one year old every week. Happy Birthday to your little guy!