Our Holiday Wish: A Plastic-Free World

Can you imagine a plastic-free world? I know it seems impossible to imagine, but there is one important step that we can all take this holiday season: We can join the plastic bag ban movement.

Is your city on the plastic bag ban map??

If your city is not yet on the plastic bag ban map, think specifically about the health implications of using plastic. Then, consider the pros and cons of helping to add it to the map:

Pros and Cons of Banning Plastic Bags

How can you go reusable in order to give the gift of a plastic bag free world?

Here are 3 easy steps:

1. Do you really need a bag?

Stop and think before you accept a plastic single use bag at the store. If you are just running in for a few things, toss them into your purse or just carry them.

2. Keep a foldable tote in your purse or car.

There are foldable totes sold all over so pick one up and you will never be without a reusable bag again. You can also order on online from ConservingNow or Factory Direct Promos.

3. Pat yourself on the back each time you remember.
Research shows that it takes 18 to 254 days to form a habit, so give yourself some time! You will get there!

What are your tips for going plastic-free?

1 Tiffany (NatureMom) December 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Great reminder. I wish they would implement a bag ban in Ohio!
Tiffany (NatureMom) recently posted..Eco Stocking Stuffer Ideas for AdultsMy Profile

2 Charise Rohm Nulsen December 10, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Thanks! I wish they would do the same here.

3 Momma Jorje December 10, 2012 at 11:23 pm

The only reason I would hesitate to ban them is that I REUSE the plastic bags! I use them as trash bags and other things. I know people use them for cat litter or picking up behind their dog. I’m sure I would survive, though.

As for tips, I have this link to offer:
Get a FREE Static Window Cling for your car – to help you remember to take your reusable bags into the store!
Momma Jorje recently posted..Tips for Parenting a Child With Special Medical NeedsMy Profile

4 Charise Rohm Nulsen December 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks for the great link! I love ConservingNow. Reusing plastic bags is great. We use them for cat litter too.

5 Kerry Soltis December 11, 2012 at 7:40 am

I would love to see a plastic free world also! I think the benefits far outweigh the cons. No such luck where I’m at here in Florida as of yet. But I did take a trip to the Outer Banks of NC this past fall, where plastic bags have been banned in grocery stores. It was awesome to see!!!
Kerry Soltis recently posted..Sundays In The Garden, December 9thMy Profile

6 Charise Rohm Nulsen December 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

One more reason to love the Outer Banks!