Homeopathic Vaccinations as an Alternative to Orthodox Vaccinations

I am so excited to be contributing to I Thought I Knew Mama while Charise is on her babymoon. Recently, I posted my reasons for not vaccinating my own son on my blog, African Babies Don’t Cry, and to follow with this theme I have researched into the alternatives to orthodox vaccinations. One such alternative is Homeopathic vaccinations.

It is becoming more popular, as parents are becoming more informed, to opt out of routine orthodox vaccinations. Homeopathy can offer a safe and effective alternative to orthodox vaccination via a program of homeopathic remedies known as ‘Homeoprophylaxis’, which protects against the same diseases as the conventional vaccination program.

What is Homeopathy? The Society of Homeopaths explains it as such:

Homeopathy is a system of medicine which involves treating the individual with highly diluted substances, given mainly in tablet form, with the aim of triggering the body’s natural system of healing. Based on their specific symptoms, a homeopath will match the most appropriate medicine to each patient.

Homeopathy is based on the principle that you can treat ‘like with like’, that is, a substance which causes symptoms when taken in large doses, can be used in small amounts to treat those same symptoms. For example, drinking too much coffee can cause sleeplessness and agitation, so according to this principle, when made into a homeopathic medicine, it could be used to treat people with these symptoms. This concept is sometimes used in conventional medicine, for example, the stimulant Ritalin is used to treat patients with ADHD, or small doses of allergens such as pollen are sometimes used to de-sensitise allergic patients. However, one major difference with homeopathic medicines is that substances are used in ultra high dilutions, which makes them non-toxic.

What Are Homeopathic Immunizations?

Homeopathic Immunizations are usually made from disease material, also known as a nosode. The disease material is then prepared in a homeopathic manner in order to render it completely safe and non-toxic, a method called Homeoprophylaxis (HP). Homeopathic immunizations are administered orally rather than given as a shot. Because of the minute amount of the active substance present in the homeopathic preparation, the agent is viewed by the bodies’ immune system in a similar manner to that of the virus.

My gorgeous unvaccinated son, Jesse.

The difference between Homeopathic Vaccinations and Orthodox Vaccinations:

The main difference is how they are administered, Homeopathic vaccinations are administered orally which Homeopaths assure gives the body’s immune system a chance to fight the virus and build up resistances. This is the because the mouth (and nose) is the normal route for our bodies to receive viruses. Whereas orthodox vaccinations are administered into the skin, by-passing the immune systems biggest virus fighter, the lymphatic system, thus causing unnatural reactions.

While orthodox vaccinations are full of chemicals, preservatives and other foreign material, the Homeopathic ones are not. Thus if your child does have a reaction to the vaccine, it is not a toxic reaction as can be experienced with conventional vaccinations. They represent a clearing effect and indicate that the child has a predisposition to this particular disease. According to most sources, any reaction such as a fever or skin eruptions will likely be mild and short-lived.

How Effective are Homeopathic Vaccines?

According to a 15 year study done on 2342 children by renowned Homeopathic immunization expert Dr. Isaac Golden, the effectiveness of Homeopathic vaccinations is 90%. This means that they are just as effective or even more effective than regular vaccines.

The use of Homeopathic vaccinations was first described by Dr Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of Homeopathy, in 1801. He used the remedy Belladonna 30 to successfully treat patients with the disease Scarlet Fever, but found that the remedy also helped to prevent the disease. He then used   Homeopathic vaccinations to prevent such diseases as Cholera and Typhoid. In the decades following, many leading Homeopaths used  Homeopathic vaccinations to prevent a variety of infectious diseases, mainly in acute epidemic situations.

According to raw food and health guru David Wolfe, from whom I first heard about Homeopathic vaccinations, there has been an accidental study in California, with surprising results:

• Children who where immunized – high percentage got sick.
  • Children who didn’t get any immunizations, all got sick.
  • Children with Homeopathic immunizations – none got sick.
For more information on scientific studies and research for the efficacy of Homeopathic vaccinations, visit here.

So, what next if you decide to go ahead with Homeopathic vaccinations?

Visit a Homeopath in your area to purchase an immunisation kit. The kit contains vaccinations to cover all illnesses that orthodox vaccinations claim to protect against. The vaccinations usually begin when the child is one month of age, and continue in reducing frequency, up until your child is four years old, or 12 years if you choose to include Rubella. However the program is flexible, if you start late you continue to give the vaccinations in the order prescribed by your Homeopath until you have caught up with the ages of the administration program. Click here for a full Homeopathic Immunisation Schedule

Will I be using Homeopathic Vaccinations with my son?

To be honest, I haven’t decided yet. I like the fact that the vaccination schedule is flexible, and so I could catch up at a later date if I decided to go this route. I don’t like how it is a societal norm to try and prevent something that my son hasn’t even been exposed to yet, and may never be exposed to. Homeopathic vaccinations are still fear based, and there are always potential side effects, you never know how your child’s body will react to any foreign bodies it is introduced to.

Christine is a teacher turned work-at-home mom to her beautiful son, Jesse. She lives in South Africa and is passionate about bringing up her son as naturally as possible. Christine blogs at African Babies Don’t Cry where she often writes about natural nutrition and toddler health. She keeps busy by volunteering for the Natural Parents Network, being an avid gardener and a healer in training. You can also find her on facebook.

1 Silent Springs August 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Amazing that I live in Ashland OR and have not heard of this alternative approach to vaccinations. I’m really intrigued. We choose to vaccinate our kids on a very extend time line that usually finished up at about age 10. We don’t do all of the vaccine’s either. Some things I’m just fine with my kids getting. But I live in a community where that is accepted. In other words, my kids can still go to school and or pre-school with them. My youngest is turning 4 this week and has a long way to go with the vaccination list. I’ll be researching this approach more now as a possible option for her. THanks.
Silent Springs recently posted..Welcome to Silent Springs!My Profile

2 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry August 15, 2012 at 4:01 am

I think it is so fantastic that you live in a supportive community! Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)
Christine @ African Babies Don’t Cry recently posted..Homeopathic Vaccinations as an Alternative to Orthodox VaccinationsMy Profile

3 Trisha G. August 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Great post! I’ve never heard of Homeopathic vaccinations but will keep them in mind for when (and if) we have another child. We currently delay vax my 16 month old which is something I’m comfortable with and my pediatrician is incredibly supportive. I plan on looking into Homeopathic vaccinations a little more and just wanted to thank you for sharing this info!
Trisha G. recently posted..Earth’s Best Sesame Street Snacks and Healthy Habits for Life initiative!My Profile

4 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry August 15, 2012 at 4:02 am

Thanks so much Trisha! :)

5 Helga@strand Bécsben August 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I am a green mom, and I am a huge fan of homeopathic treatments, I have always preferred the natural home remedies instead of ‘traditional’ drugs. I don’t want to give drugs to my children if not necessary, those chemicals kill the inner organs.
Helga@strand Bécsben recently posted..Duna-parti strand BécsbenMy Profile

6 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry August 15, 2012 at 4:21 am

I whole-heartedly agree with you on avoiding chemicals where possible :)
Christine @ African Babies Don’t Cry recently posted..South African Laws on VaccinationsMy Profile

7 Leah M August 13, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This is very interesting. Although we don’t do any vaccines, I’d definitely consider something like this if it were needed. We’re super happy with our decision though – Charlie is 13 months old and hasn’t had even the hint of a sickness.
Leah M recently posted..EcoFriendly Laundry Series Day Nine: Sponsor Spotlight – Best Drying RackMy Profile

8 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry August 15, 2012 at 4:22 am

Im so glad to hear of you healthy baba, my son is 20 months, unvaccinated and also super healthy :)

9 Kelly August 13, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Very interesting – had never heard of this before. Thanks for the info. – and something new to research lol!
Kelly recently posted..GIVEAWAY: Thirsties Duo All-In-One Cloth Diaper Plus Hemp Inserts — $25.75 ARV {8.25; US/CAN}My Profile

10 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry August 15, 2012 at 4:22 am

Thanks Kelly :)

11 Tracey Black August 14, 2012 at 12:16 am

I’ve never heard of this before. Thanks for posting. We delay most vaccinations and even turn down a few of them. I love the idea of homeopathic.
Tracey Black recently posted..DIY Sidewalk Chalk PaintMy Profile

12 Claudia August 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

In this present world, we are going to look at several issues about this question of disease protection with homeopathic remedies. First, the question: Have remedies been used in a protective way (rather than just the treatment of disease)? Second, what is the mechanism for such a protective effect? Third, what specific guidelines can we use for the use of remedies for the protection of our children?
Claudia recently posted..Argan Oil – The Magic Moroccan Beauty FormulaMy Profile

13 Chrystal @ Happy Mothering August 16, 2012 at 2:44 am

Like the others, I had not heard of homeopathic vaccines. However, I’m not sure we’d even go this route. Whether’s it’s homeopathic or not, it still seems unnatural to expose your child to a disease they wouldn’t otherwise be exposed to. The one fact referenced in the article that bothered me is that all of the non-vaccinated children got sick in the study. That seems to go against almost all of the other research on unvaccinated children. I’ll have to look more into the conditions of that study.

14 Crystal @ FP August 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I wish I had known about this when Mini-Me was small. Honestly, I thought I had no choice or alternatives in the matter. I was told by a relative (whom I’m sure meant well) that not having her vaccinated was medical neglect. It terrified me. Then when it came time to start school, I was told she had to be up to date on her shots.

Again, I wish I had known about this back then. Thanks for the info, though, it might be good with my grandkids!
Crystal @ FP recently posted..PYHO: What Hurts The MostMy Profile

15 Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network September 27, 2012 at 5:20 am

Thanks you so much for sharing this fascinating debate with us on Seasonal Celebration! Rebecca@ Natural Mothers Network.com
Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network recently posted..Spicy Apple and Pear ChutneyMy Profile

16 Annette September 28, 2012 at 10:21 pm

What a wonderful thought-provoking post! It’s a lot to think about. Would you please consider linking up on Waldorf Wednesday? We don’t have any health-type posts yet. Thanks!
Annette recently posted..Fairy Tale Friday: Semsi MountainMy Profile

17 Shannon @ GrowingSlower October 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Wow! This is all new to me. A 90% success rate is very impressive.
Shannon @ GrowingSlower recently posted..Announcing the Tuesday Baby Link UpMy Profile

18 Nancy June 27, 2013 at 12:33 am

Hi

Please send me a link for Homeopathic Immunisation Schedule. It doesn’t come up when clicked on.
Thanks