5 Unexpected Uses for Breast Milk

Thank you to Michelle for guest posting during my babymoon!

Breastfeeding has a host of benefits almost too numerous to count but did you know that breastmilk itself has many uses beyond feeding your baby?

Here are FIVE ways we successfully used breast milk in an unexpected way! Breastmilk is all natural, cheap, anti bacterial, perfectly safe and always on hand! It is nature’s wonder remedy!

1. First Aid: Used to aid in the healing of minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites, scratches (you will be amazed how quickly this works!) Apply right to affected area, as often as you like!
  2. Diaper Rash: Apply liberally, you don’t have to dry or wipe away any excess, dries instantly, heals diaper rash incredibly fast!
  3. Soothes: baby acne, skin rashes, flaky scalp, eczema, any and every skin irritation
  4. Ear/Eye Drops: Safely drop breast milk in infected eye to clear up redness or oozing, or clogged tear duct. Drop in ear to soothe redness, soreness or to prevent ear infection
  5. Breastfeeding: Apply directly to cracked sore nipples, You don’t have to wait for it to dry, apply liberally and frequently.
Do you have any to add? We would love to hear from you in the comment section below!

Michelle is a former elementary school teacher, turn SAHM and self-described “green” fashionista. She is a NYC woman, turned burbs mama, raising her 2 B’s in an eco conscious manner. She blogs about natural parenting and green living at www.everythingsabuzz.com. She is not only a contributing writer for Momtrends, but there you’ll also find her own column, Syncing Your Style. Find her on twitter @queentob or facebook.

1 Katie Vrajich July 2, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Wow, this was so interesting! I am about to welcome baby #3 into our home, and several of these things are news to me. I look forward to trying some of them out! :)

(I thought the article was going to be able things like adding it to spaghetti, which is one of the funniest things that I have heard done with breast milk. A friend of mine just whips out her breast when she is making spaghetti sauce and squeezes in some breast milk for added nutrition. I laughed so hard when I heard this.)
Katie Vrajich recently posted..Is it Bad to Seek for More Money?My Profile

2 Mitch July 2, 2012 at 9:11 pm

How do I get a cup?
Mitch recently posted..Giveaway – Band Hero Nintendo DS Bundle!My Profile

3 Harry & Jeff July 6, 2012 at 12:39 am

Wow I never thought of any functions of Breast milk other than the breastfeeding. This is very interesting. Who would have thought that it can also be used as a partial remedy for minor cuts and insect bites? Oh even for those minor skin diseases like eczema . Seriously this is so new to me and thank you for sharing this trivia. I don’t think my mom is aware about it and I guess she’ll be surprised as well if she finds out.
I think this site is very informative. I should be here more often.
have a great day and Happy blogging to you
Harry & Jeff recently posted..Internet- whither quality?My Profile

4 Sarah@Gifts for New Moms July 9, 2012 at 7:36 am

Yes the therapeutic benefits of breast milk are wonderful. Not only does it provide nutrition for a growing baby second to none, as mentioned above it works wonders on conjunctivitis clearing weepy eyes in no time.

My friends husband has been known to put breast milk in his coffee during desperate moments between grocery shopping!

Keep up the great info. Thanks.

5 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama July 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

Wow! Breast milk in coffee is one I haven’t tried yet ;-)

6 kelly July 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I had no idea it could help in the healing of minor cuts, scrapes, insect bites, scratches!

7 Nicole July 13, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Our bodies are truly amazing. I was thrilled when our pediatrician suggested breastmilk for my daughter’s conjunctivitis. It worked!

8 Melissa March 28, 2013 at 4:57 pm

How cool! Should have tried this on my son’s bad diaper rash last week – oh next time! Well, hopefully there won’t be a next time. But it’s good to know anyways.
Melissa recently posted..Caption This!My Profile