This weekend, my husband and I had the good fortune to take a private natural childbirth class with Kathryn of Mother Baby Doula Services and the doula we hired for our baby’s upcoming birth, Jennifer of Mama-Born Doula Services. This was such a different experience than the large group classes that we took through our network of doctors during my last pregnancy, and we absolutely loved it.
– It was a comfortable and relaxed environment.Visiting Kathryn’s home, sitting on couches with candles burning, drinking tea, and snacking on fruit, veggies, and cookies was definitely a much preferred ambiance over a sterile classroom setting.
– The class was tailored towards our needs and preferences. Kathryn focused the class on our specific desire to have a natural VBAC, and throughout the class, she would ask how much time we wanted to spend on different topics so we didn’t have to waste time talking about things that we were all set with.
– The class was dialogue oriented rather than lecture-style. It was so nice to sit around and talk about a topic that I feel passionate about with other people who feel the same way.
– Rather than just looking at diagrams of labor and birth positions, I got to actually practice them with my husband and two doulas. Although I’ve seen many pictures of these positions, this was the first time that they really made sense to me.
– Instead of talking about every possible comfort measure out there for natural childbirth, we spent time discussing what would actually be most helpful to me.
– Rather than just being the recipient of information, it felt much more like an exchange of ideas to my husband and me.
– I loved the video clips we watched from More Business of Being Born and Organic Birth: Birth IS Natural.
– Most importantly, I think the best way one can prepare to have a natural birth is to simply build confidence and to establish that birth is a normal, safe experience that you absolutely CAN handle. My class with Kathryn and Jen was all about making us feel supported, confident, positive, and loved. I can’t think of a better way to help a mama feel prepared!
What helped you prepare for your birth experience(s)?
Visit Healthy Child Healthy World for more information on having a healthy pregnancy.