5 Green Living, Spring Cleaning Tips

This post is part of the March 2012 Green Moms Carnival hosted by Lori of Groovy Green Livin. The topic is How to Keep Toxic Chemicals Out of Your Home.

Spring is a time of birth and renewal, so it’s also the perfect time to incorporate elements of green living into your every day life. With the spring season right around the corner, spring cleaning is an excellent way to welcome the season and try out a few easy ways to reduce toxins in your home.

green baby

Here are five of my easiest, go to, green spring cleaning tips:

1. Use natural, non-toxic cleaners.

We use a mixture of distilled white vinegar, water, and lavender essential oil on everything! For more cleaning power, you can mix in some Borax or baking soda. I have also reviewed a few excellent, non-toxic cleaners from companies like Eco-Me and Natural House if you prefer to buy something already made.

2. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter.

We bought our Eureka Air Extreme after reading all of the fantastic research on AllergyBuyersClub.com. HEPA filter vacuums remove dust and allergens from your home, as well as improve the overall quality of the indoor air you breathe.

3. Open your windows!

Especially when there is beautiful weather, why not keep your home healthier and enjoy the fresh air? Opening the windows for even 5 minutes per day reduces the toxins in the indoor air of your home.

4. Start a no shoe policy in your home.

Not only do shoes track in the visible dirt that you can see with your eyes, they also carry toxins into your home. A no shoe policy greatly reduces the amount of lead dust, bacteria, and allergens in your home!

5. Avoid plastic as much as possible.

We are surrounded by plastic – it’s in our packaging, our children’s toys, our household products, and even in our clothing. This may make it feel like avoiding plastic is a no win battle, but it is worth reducing your plastic exposure in order to avoid BPA, PVC, and PET. Why surround ourselves with carcinogens when simple choices like using cloth bags, buying wooden toys, and using glass or stainless steel containers can make our homes healthier? For more information on the dangers of plastic and for suggestions on how to avoid it, check out Cloth Diapering Mama’s post: Leaching…yucky word…yucky consequences…PLASTIC.

To read all of the posts in the Green Moms Carnival about keeping toxins out of your home and for other green cleaning tips, please visit Groovy Green Livin’s post with all of our post links!

What’s your favorite green spring cleaning tip? Let me know in the comments section below!

1 Eve March 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Great list, Charise! I have been meaning to work on the first item on your list for awhile now. I’ll have to put your advice to use this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of green living with us. I sincerely appreciate it as it’s sometimes too time consuming to research these things myself. Thanks again, Charise!

2 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama March 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Thank you, Eve! It’s so nice to hear that some of these posts actually help others ;-)

3 OneMommy March 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I love the no shoes in the house policy – who wants to keep their feet cooped up in shoes anyway? We usually have ours off, but I am thinking of asking guests to as well.
OneMommy recently posted..Thankful for Honest PeopleMy Profile

4 Eunice G. March 18, 2012 at 2:12 am

I think I need to minimize the use of plastic stuff at home. What’s should you use instead of plastic? What are some alternatives to plastic? Thanks for sharing these tips.

-Eunice

5 Debera March 19, 2012 at 5:39 am

This is one great list! I practice most of them, except the no-shoe policy. I might enforce that soon.

6 Jesslie March 19, 2012 at 11:56 am

Thanks for the tips you have provided me here and I am sure a lotof people wants to know about these…Anyway, thank you for this one!

7 Graeme Foster@spring cleaning March 19, 2012 at 2:13 pm

It is amazing how often just a damp cloth and a bit of elbow grease will clean hard surfaces without the use of chemicals.

8 Danyelle Franciosa March 20, 2012 at 12:38 am

This is truly great information, this tips helps a lot and thanks a lot for sharing this.

9 Henry G March 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

The no shoe policy is mandatory, especially in spring. The kids trekking the mud everywhere. Now if there was only something to clean the dog’s feet we’d be all set!
Henry G recently posted..No More Panic AttacksMy Profile

10 DrJulieAnn at Let's Start Blogging! March 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

One of the best decisions I’ve ever made was making the switch from those zip-lock one cup plastic containers to the small wide-mouth canning jars about eight years ago. In all the time I’ve used them, only one cracked on me in the freezer because I forgot to leave enough headspace for the soup to expand.
DrJulieAnn at Let’s Start Blogging! recently posted..Avoid Blog Block With “Story Monsters”My Profile

11 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry March 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

I love the idea of a no shoe policy indoors, I can see how that will greatly diminish the time needed to spend cleaning, as it is I need to sweep every day with all the dirt that gets walked in. All your other ideas are excellent too.

12 Tracy96 March 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks for sharing this kind of tips…The kids trekking the mud everywhere.You shared a lot of great information..
Tracy96 recently posted..A Guide to Select ToysMy Profile

13 Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings March 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Great tips! I forget about opening windows (though love it when I do remember –it feels great!) and really need to work on dusting and vacuuming more to help with allergies and just general health! Achoo!
Kristin @ Intrepid Murmurings recently posted..The Best Of DIY from the Natural Parents Network VolunteersMy Profile

14 Lauren@Hobo Mama March 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Yea, we do a lot of these! I can’t stand wearing shoes indoors, anyways. :) I’m glad we have skylights and windows that vent, because we can keep a little fresh air coming in even in drizzly winter. We definitely have way too much plastic, though. Oh, well, baby steps…
Lauren@Hobo Mama recently posted..Do-it-yourself guides from the NPN team!My Profile

15 Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network March 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

Thank you so much for sharing this with us on Natural Mothers Network’s Seasonal Celebration.
Warmly, Rebecca x

16 Jeannie April 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I liked your comment about too many plastics. I have switched to using quart and pint jars to store leftovers in. I have some sensitivities to plastics. Really everyone would be better off health wise, using less plastic.

No shoes in the house I have thought about several times. The area of the rug in front of the front door is reallly looking muddy this spring.
Jeannie recently posted..Dirt Devil BD10045RED AccuCharge 15.6 Volt Energy Star Approved Hand Vac – REDMy Profile

17 Colt@GoPro HD Hero May 11, 2012 at 1:07 am

We follow 4 of the 5 tips you mentioned in this post in my household. Looks like I need to take a serious look at some new vacuums that feature a HEPA Filter! I was unaware of their significance until this post. Thanks for the tip!

18 Rachel@cleaningservices June 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm

A good “green” cleaning tip includes using good microfiber cloths! You can avoid using chemicals if you use a good cloth!

19 Rosella Kerfien@fitness tips July 16, 2012 at 9:07 am

I lrecently started trying to adopt a more ‘green’ mentality and while I find it rewarding it is pretty hard at first, as you mention plastic, I invested in a “bag for life” rather than using the bags they provide everytime but you sometimes forget to plan ahead etc and stores don’t always fofer an alternative (especially here in England). I think more companies and organisations need to have more responsability aswell!
Rosella Kerfien@fitness tips recently posted..Here you are at my brand-new weblog!My Profile

20 jenny@organic skin care australia July 25, 2012 at 3:53 am

Amazing and very useful face cleansing tips. I always try to make sure I wash my face both in the morning and before I go to bed. I always follow up with a good facial moisturizer and cleaner.

21 Oxford Carpet Cleaners September 6, 2012 at 8:44 am

Hadn’t even thought about the plastics issue for storage! Have had a look thorugh my cupboard and realised how many I had. Switching to glass now. Like the idea of not wearing shoes indoors, but I think i’ll struggle to adhere to that one!
Thanks!

22 Frida123 October 2, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thank you for this post.

I want to know if there is plastic, or if there are any harmful components, in the regular carpet used in apartments?

23 Kristina April 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

I could totally relate with this topic. I have a 5 month old daughter and I’m very particular with her surroundings. I make it a point to only use eco-friendly cleaning products. Or hire a house cleaning that uses safe cleaning products. Thanks for the great tips!

24 Kristina R January 8, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Thank you for this and all your posts! with two little ones at home I am constantly a big worry wart,
Kristina R recently posted..Stress Free HolidaysMy Profile