5 Green Living, Spring Cleaning Tips

This post is part of the March 2012 Green Moms Carnival hosted by Lori of Groovy Green Livin. The topic is How to Keep Toxic Chemicals Out of Your Home.

Spring is a time of birth and renewal, so it’s also the perfect time to incorporate elements of green living into your every day life. With the spring season right around the corner, spring cleaning is an excellent way to welcome the season and try out a few easy ways to reduce toxins in your home.

green baby

Here are five of my easiest, go to, green spring cleaning tips:

1. Use natural, non-toxic cleaners.

We use a mixture of distilled white vinegar, water, and lavender essential oil on everything! For more cleaning power, you can mix in some Borax or baking soda. I have also reviewed a few excellent, non-toxic cleaners from companies like Eco-Me and Natural House if you prefer to buy something already made.

2. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter.

We bought our Eureka Air Extreme after reading all of the fantastic research on AllergyBuyersClub.com. HEPA filter vacuums remove dust and allergens from your home, as well as improve the overall quality of the indoor air you breathe.

3. Open your windows!

Especially when there is beautiful weather, why not keep your home healthier and enjoy the fresh air? Opening the windows for even 5 minutes per day reduces the toxins in the indoor air of your home.

4. Start a no shoe policy in your home.

Not only do shoes track in the visible dirt that you can see with your eyes, they also carry toxins into your home. A no shoe policy greatly reduces the amount of lead dust, bacteria, and allergens in your home!

5. Avoid plastic as much as possible.

We are surrounded by plastic – it’s in our packaging, our children’s toys, our household products, and even in our clothing. This may make it feel like avoiding plastic is a no win battle, but it is worth reducing your plastic exposure in order to avoid BPA, PVC, and PET. Why surround ourselves with carcinogens when simple choices like using cloth bags, buying wooden toys, and using glass or stainless steel containers can make our homes healthier? For more information on the dangers of plastic and for suggestions on how to avoid it, check out Cloth Diapering Mama’s post: Leaching…yucky word…yucky consequences…PLASTIC.

To read all of the posts in the Green Moms Carnival about keeping toxins out of your home and for other green cleaning tips, please visit Groovy Green Livin’s post with all of our post links!

What’s your favorite green spring cleaning tip? Let me know in the comments section below!

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to sign up for a FREE Team Beachbody Account to get support, motivation, and access to free tools to keep you on track with your fitness & health goals!

1. says

Great list, Charise! I have been meaning to work on the first item on your list for awhile now. I’ll have to put your advice to use this weekend. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of green living with us. I sincerely appreciate it as it’s sometimes too time consuming to research these things myself. Thanks again, Charise!

2. Eunice G. says

I think I need to minimize the use of plastic stuff at home. What’s should you use instead of plastic? What are some alternatives to plastic? Thanks for sharing these tips.

3. Jesslie says

Thanks for the tips you have provided me here and I am sure a lotof people wants to know about these…Anyway, thank you for this one!

4. says

I liked your comment about too many plastics. I have switched to using quart and pint jars to store leftovers in. I have some sensitivities to plastics. Really everyone would be better off health wise, using less plastic.

No shoes in the house I have thought about several times. The area of the rug in front of the front door is reallly looking muddy this spring.
    Jeannie recently posted..Dirt Devil BD10045RED AccuCharge 15.6 Volt Energy Star Approved Hand Vac – REDMy Profile

5. says

We follow 4 of the 5 tips you mentioned in this post in my household. Looks like I need to take a serious look at some new vacuums that feature a HEPA Filter! I was unaware of their significance until this post. Thanks for the tip!

6. says

I lrecently started trying to adopt a more ‘green’ mentality and while I find it rewarding it is pretty hard at first, as you mention plastic, I invested in a “bag for life” rather than using the bags they provide everytime but you sometimes forget to plan ahead etc and stores don’t always fofer an alternative (especially here in England). I think more companies and organisations need to have more responsability aswell!
    Rosella Kerfien@fitness tips recently posted..Here you are at my brand-new weblog!My Profile

7. says

Hadn’t even thought about the plastics issue for storage! Have had a look thorugh my cupboard and realised how many I had. Switching to glass now. Like the idea of not wearing shoes indoors, but I think i’ll struggle to adhere to that one!

8. Frida123 says

Thank you for this post.

I want to know if there is plastic, or if there are any harmful components, in the regular carpet used in apartments?

9. says

I could totally relate with this topic. I have a 5 month old daughter and I’m very particular with her surroundings. I make it a point to only use eco-friendly cleaning products. Or hire a house cleaning that uses safe cleaning products. Thanks for the great tips!

10. says

Love the cleaner ingredients! However, I’ve stayed away from using vinegar on my marble & granite countertops because I’ve heard it is harsh on them. They also use to feel “crumbly” to the touch but don’t anymore now that I use a Castille soap with tea tree oil. Any thoughts on natural stone?

Best regards!
    St Helier Carpet Cleaners Ltd.