Mom’s Healthy Italian Lentils and Pasta Recipe

My mom has been making this meal throughout my entire life, and it is now one of my husband’s favorites. I love this dish because it’s healthy, vegetarian, filling, delicious, and yummy as leftovers.

LENTILS & PASTA
Makes approximately 8 servings

16 oz of lentils {rinse well & drain}
32 oz of crushed tomatoes with Italian herbs
32 oz of vegetable or chicken broth
1 large Spanish onion {chopped}
2 boxes of frozen chopped spinach
16 oz of elbow pasta
Olive oil
Italian seasonings
Red pepper flakes
Grated Romano cheese

1. Saute onion in a little olive oil until it is soft & golden.

2. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer for approximately 2 minutes.

3. Add broth.

4. Bring above to boil.

5. Add lentils.

6. Add any other Italian seasonings that you like and a few red pepper flakes.

7. Turn down the heat to a simmer or low flame and keep stirring.

lentils and pasta

The lentil mixture as it begins to simmer.

8. Cook approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour or until lentils are soft.

9. Add frozen spinach and simmer until cooked.

10. Cook pasta, drain, and add to the lentil mixture.

11. Add grated Romano cheese when serving.

ENJOY! I baked a loaf of light wheat bread to have as a side dish with this meal last night and it was a perfect accompaniment!

1 Good Girl Gone Green January 23, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Yummy! I am going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing!:)
Good Girl Gone Green recently posted..Project Green Foot- Week 20My Profile

2 Pettina07 January 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Looks really delicious!!I hope I can try at home and let’s see how i can surprise my family…
Pettina07 recently posted..CourchevelMy Profile

3 Bibi January 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm

My boys love lentils and pasta. I never thought about adding spinach to it. I will have to do it next time. I love to sneak in extra veggies anywhere I can.
Bibi recently posted..Have You Eaten At FAT BOYS Diner Lately?My Profile

4 Diana @ Baby Products January 25, 2012 at 4:40 am

Yumm, looks delicious. I’m not a great cook, but I’ll give it a try! Thanks for sharing :)
Diana

5 Deanne Fort January 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm

This makes my mouth melt!!Thanks a lot for the great post and recipe you have here for us…
Deanne Fort recently posted..How To Stop Panic AttacksMy Profile

6 Stacy @ Candy Floss Maker January 31, 2012 at 1:00 am

Interesting recipe and it looks really delicious on the pic. :)

7 Fhelie Denn January 31, 2012 at 4:09 am

Looks like I have missed something…Thanks a lot for the delicious food here…I want to check this out..

8 Marci January 31, 2012 at 10:48 am

That is simple and sounds wonderful. I love lentils but only have a few recipes as standbys. I will have to add this one to my collection.
Marci recently posted..Fascinating Garden MemoirMy Profile

9 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama February 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I hope you enjoy it, Marci!

10 Jessica January 31, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Well, I never met a lentil that I didn’t just love! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

11 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama February 2, 2012 at 1:34 pm

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy it!

12 Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network February 2, 2012 at 7:43 am

Charise thank you very much for placing this recipe on Natural Mothers Network’s linky: Seasonal Celebration! You helped make Seasonal Celebration a wealth of intelligent, creative and resourceful information and it’s been such a pleasure for me and many others to read through each post. I am really looking forward to seeing you again Sunday evening or Monday! Rebecca x
Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network recently posted..Frugal Living: 6 Frugal Family Tips For SuccessMy Profile

13 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama February 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thank you!

I’ll definitely be linking up every week!

14 Maegan February 7, 2012 at 3:52 am

I love spaghetti that;s why one thing that i surely is the quality of pasta and how to boiled it greatly.
Maegan recently posted..glovesMy Profile

15 Rose@Continuum South Beach February 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yummy, looks delicious. I’m not into cook, but I’ll surely try this one. Thanks

16 Liza@Marble Tile February 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Now I’m craving for pasta :)

17 john@water leak February 29, 2012 at 7:31 am

Looking so delicious. I am crazy for fast food. It looks traditional but t i think it would be awesome.
john@water leak recently posted..Leak Detection | Water leak Detection | Dublin | Ireland | Indepth.ieMy Profile

18 Villa@W South Beach March 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Another delicious recipe, I’m sure I will keep on visiting your blog to check out your other recipe. Thank you for sharing.

19 Edward@Miami Homes March 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Nice another good recipe for family. Thanks and keep on sharing great recipes. Great work keep it up.

20 Maryann D. September 15, 2013 at 8:37 am

My family loves lentils and I make it with soup often especially in the winter. This pasta dish would be delicious and a terrific change for us.

21 Deb E October 20, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Lentils are quick and easy for me to make. Why I haven’t added spinach to the mix, I don’t know. It would really add to the nutrition and color too. I think I’ll add a bit of garlic which I always do with the onion. Thanks.