5 Easy Ways for Pregnant Women to Reduce Their Exposure to Chemicals (Green & Natural Mamas Linkup)

It’s important to reduce your exposure to the chemicals and toxins that are unfortunately part of our daily lives, but this becomes of paramount importance when you are pregnant. Our little ones have such delicate systems when they are developing and growing and toxins have a much greater impact on their sensitive little bodies.

As a pregnant mama, here are 5 steps that I am taking to reduce my developing baby’s exposure to chemicals and toxins:

1. Avoid BPA and try not to eat any canned foods. If there is a food you would like to have in the canned version, Whole Foods carries the brand Eden Organic which is BPA free. (See my post What is BPA? Why is it bad? What can I do? for more info.)

2. Avoid using any product that lists “fragrance” or “parfum” as an ingredient. There are many products that are scented with natural essential oils that smell wonderful.

3. Use natural cleaning products. I clean almost everything with a mixture of vinegar and water, and I add in a few drops of lavender essential oil to make it smell good.

4. Eat organic as much as possible. If you can’t buy organic dairy products, make sure they are antibiotic and hormone free.

5. Eat whole and unprocessed foods as much as possible. Foods in their natural forms are best.

Link up any of your green living or natural parenting posts below!
- I would love if you could leave a comment on this post and then grab the html for the Green & Natural Mama Thursday button and either add it to your blog sidebar or as a picture in your actual blog post.

Green & Natural Mama Thursday @ I Thought I Knew Mama

- Visit some of the other blog posts that are linked up for the week, and be sure to leave them a comment letting them know that you are visiting from Green & Natural Mama Thursday. The more support we can lend each other, the better!

Visit Healthy Child Healthy World for more information on having a healthy pregnancy.

1 Michelle December 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Great reminders! Another thing I learned, when getting into the car, crack the windows when you first get in so the off gases can be released. Your car is full of BPA, so as it sits in the sun, your car fills with this harmful toxin. Same goes if you are putting on the a/c.
Uh!!!

2 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama December 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks, Michelle! That is a GREAT tip about the car. Thanks for sharing!

3 Christine @ African Babies Don't Cry December 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Wonderful points, thank you :)
Christine @ African Babies Don’t Cry recently posted..Wordless Wednesday : Birthday BoyMy Profile

4 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama December 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

You’re welcome!

5 Good Girl Gone Green December 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Congrats again!!! All great tips to follow!!

6 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama December 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

7 erin December 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

hello!
thanks for the nice link up! I will be back! I like your list. I have a blog post about all the other horrible things in our cosmetic products and what to avoid, there’s a downloadable card to carry in your purse for when you are shopping! http://tadpoletalk.blogspot.com/2011/03/every-woman-needs-to-have-this-in-their.html
I think its so important to keep clear of these harmful substances. our skin is a SPOnge and it sucks up everything we put on it…
erin recently posted..how to infuse oilsMy Profile

8 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama December 4, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hello!
That downloadable card is so helpful. Thanks for sharing!

9 Zoe December 2, 2011 at 4:21 am

Thanks so much for visiting Playing by the book! Great to discover you too.
Zoe recently posted..And the winners are….My Profile

10 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama December 4, 2011 at 9:43 am

You’re welcome! Thanks for visiting!

11 Zoie @ TouchstoneZ December 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I didn’t really post a straightup parenting or green blog this week. So, I’m not going to add a link to be fair. But, I wanted to comment any way because the article is very useful. Thank you for culling all those resources!
Zoie @ TouchstoneZ recently posted..December Comment Challenge: NaBloCoMoMy Profile

12 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama December 4, 2011 at 9:41 am

Thank you for letting me know and for visiting anyway, Zoie!!