5 Ways to Stay Mindful This Holiday Season

Welcome to the December Mindful Mama Carnival: Staying Mindful During the Holiday Season

This post was written for inclusion in the Mindful Mama Carnival hosted by Becoming Crunchy and TouchstoneZ. This month our participants have shared how they stay mindful during the holiday season. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

***

As you may have noticed, I am a huge fan of holidays. I love any reason to celebrate, to appreciate, and to have days that feel different and special.

Staying mindful is important for me during the holidays because I never want the seasons that I love to become stressful or pressure filled.

Here are 5 ways I try to stay mindful during the holidays:

1. Focus on seeing the holiday through your child’s eyes.
toddler in christmas outfit

2. Treat yourself to indulging in one of your favorite aspects of the holiday. This way, you can keep the holiday from seeming like all work and no play.
mother and son at christmas tree farm

3. Take the time to remember the reason for the season. Take moments to reflect on why you celebrate the holiday at all. Whether it be because of religion, tradition, magic, or a mixture of reasons, quiet, thoughtful moments dedicated to these reasons can re-center you.
mom and toddler snuggle

4. Think about what makes a holiday special in your memory. For me, things such as money spent on gifts, fancy clothes, and pressure to make a holiday perfect play no part in my happy holiday memories.
toddler sniffs christmas tree

5. Take care of yourself. Sometimes, we spend so much time worrying about everyone else during the holidays (and pretty much all the time since we ARE mamas!), that we forget to focus on our own health and happiness.
snowshoeing and babywearing

How do you stay mindful during the holidays?

***

Mindful Mama Carnival -- Becoming Crunchy and TouchstoneZ Visit The Mindful Mama Homepage to find out how you can participate in the next Mindful Mama Carnival!

On Carnival day, please follow along on Twitter using the handy #MindMaCar hashtag. You can also subscribe to the Mindful Mama Twitter List and Mindful Mama Participant Feed.
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to sign up for a FREE Team Beachbody Account to get support, motivation, and access to free tools to keep you on track with your fitness & health goals!

Comments

1. says

thank you so much for this, beautiful post. I wanted to join this carnival but was too embarassed to admit I was unsure what “Mindful Mama” meant. Your post really helped me figure it out. I can’t wait to read the rest of the posts and hopefully I will be brave enough to join in next time.
    Christy @ Adventures in Mommyhood recently posted..HELP! The Talk!My Profile

2. says

Do you mean to imply (from the picture) that “one of your favorite aspects of the holiday” is the tree? Mine, too! Tree tree tree — we’re getting ours on Friday, and I’m so excited! Probably even more than the Critter is!
    Rachael recently posted..Changing the StoryMy Profile

3. says

Great list with such great photos! I love celebrations and special times too but gave up Christmas a long time ago because when I sat down to reflect on point #3 I really wasn’t feeling any significant reason. So I’m currently working on your #4 and feeling my way into what makes a holiday special for us so that we can find something that is personally meaningful. By the looks of it you have had some special Christmases already and are all set for a stress-free and mindful one this year. Happy Holidays Mama!
    Terri recently posted..Birthing the Quiet RevolutionMy Profile

4. says

Excellent tips. :) I really want to spend the holiday with my family in a way that I am present physically and mentally with them. So I am trying to finish all my month’s work/tasks before I go home to my parents so that I won’t have to think of it during my vacation. :)

5. says

Thank you for participating in the Mindful Mama Carnival.

Do you notice a lack of posts on simplify on my blog. Yeah, not my strong-suit. I adore lists like this because they make mindfulness doable. I read them and wish I could think this way. It would make my life so much easier. Perhaps I wouldn’t have to work so hard at being mindful all the time (and maybe I would succeed more often)

And number 5 is one I forget all the time, but I don’t feel alone in that one is for sure 😉
    Zoie @ TouchstoneZ recently posted..I Let Mama Sleep in the Big BedMy Profile

6. says

Nice! I always like holidays but people generally misinterpret their holidays. By greeting busy in shopping, as holiday means visit places where you are with your family and friends and enjoying nature, as natural beauty is something which make you feel alive. There are lots of hiking and walking in places Europe, where we can spend quality time.

Trackbacks