This is what mindfulness looks like in my life (Green & Natural Mamas Thursday Linkup)

Green & Natural Thursday Mamas, I’m participating in the Mindful Mama Carnival today, so I hope you enjoy all of these wonderful natural parenting posts! The linky for your green living or natural parenting post is at the bottom of the page.

This post was written for inclusion in the Mindful Mama Blog Carnival hosted by hosted by Kelly of Becoming Crunchy and Zoie of TouchstoneZ. Participants are writing posts about what mindfulness mean to them. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.

***

You,
unknowing yet wise,
diminutive yet full of heart,
have done for me
what I have spent a lifetime
trying to do for myself.

You’ve lassoed time,
drawn it in,
and placed it in a bubble
of peace and contentment,
fixed in place,
neither rolling back to the past
or forward to the future.

You have given me
the gift of the present,
where I’m now suspended
with you -
the past no longer
a prickly burr
holding me back,
and the future no longer
the impetus of my daily life.

Thanks to you,
the present
is all I need,
as long as I sit
in this bubble
with you.

I am reposting this poem because as I tried to find the words to describe how I have arrived at experiencing mindfulness in my life on a regular basis, and as I thought about what mindfulness looks like in my life, I kept coming back to this poem that I wrote for Baby’s 10 month birthday. It describes my inspiration, as well as what mindfulness looks like in my life. For me, mindfulness is all about being present, experiencing each moment deeply, and having that bubble-ish experience where you are so immersed in the emotion of what is in front of you that you couldn’t even dream of being elsewhere. My son brings me to this place, and I will be eternally grateful to him for this.

***

Mindful Mama Blog CarnivalVisit the Mindful Mama Blog Carnival Homepage to find out how you can participate in the next Mindful Mama Blog Carnival!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

1 Gaby @ Tmuffin September 22, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This poem brings such tears to my eyes. It resonates with me so much. I find it hard to be mindful in my chaotic life, unless I’m just chilling and playing with the kids. They have given so much more meaning to my life than I ever could have believed… more than any of my work, art, writing, or anything else that I work so hard at has brought me. I love this.
Gaby @ Tmuffin recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: PreschoolersMy Profile

2 Kelly September 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Love this poem so much Charise…so straight from the heart of a mama! I have never been able to live in the moment more than when I’m with my baby Bean…it is astounding and miraculous how much they change us and free us to be in that place. Thank you so much for sharing this…
Kelly recently posted..DerailedMy Profile

3 Amy September 22, 2011 at 10:41 pm

That is really beautiful, Charise! I struggle with staying in the present moment with Daniel a lot of the time, because of his SPD difficulties. It’s tough for me to focus on what’s happening right now when it’s so very hard. I envy you that kind of peace and presence of mind, and that your son brings it out in you.
Amy recently posted..My Job Made Me a Mindful MotherMy Profile

4 Brenda September 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

I like to think it’s because we have such AMAZING minds that they can’t handle mediocrity…but you probably are right about the whole listening thing.
Brenda recently posted..Chrome Gets A Much Needed UpdatingMy Profile

5 Ruby September 23, 2011 at 1:23 pm

This poem is so touching, can’t help my tears. I can feel the love in your heart. I’m also a mom that’s I can relate with what you feel.
Ruby recently posted..Trying To Get Pregnant TipsMy Profile

6 Patti @ Jazzy Mama September 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Like you, motherhood freed me from my past. For me, it was prickly burr IN MY BACK, in addition to holding me back! Amazing, isn’t it?

7 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 10:00 am

It is amazing! I’m so glad motherhood has done that for you too!

8 Tracie Mason Holton September 23, 2011 at 7:08 pm

What a lovely poem. Thank you for sharing.

9 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 9:59 am

Thank you, Tracie!

10 Kayla @ Furniture Stores Los Angeles September 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Beautiful poem, I really enjoyed reading it! Especially the very last lines, those really stuck out to me. Love love love!

11 Grady Pruitt@Amazing Self Review September 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Beautiful poem! I think you captured what we all would like to experience beautifully. It’s amazing how children can inspire us.
Grady Pruitt@Amazing Self Review recently posted..Are You Wasting Your Money?My Profile

12 Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama September 25, 2011 at 1:10 am

Wow! Finally getting around to reading all of these wonderful posts and started out with yours. So now I am tearing up. My daughter is my world, my inspiration, and staying present for her is vital. Thank you for sharing thesse beautiful words!
Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama recently posted..Starting Solids and Baby Led Weaning with Real FoodsMy Profile

13 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thank you so much, Jennifer! I’m so glad you feel the same way about Tiny!

14 Amanda @Let's Take the Metro September 25, 2011 at 9:45 pm

How fitting for you to *recycle* a poem for Green and Natural Thursday! :) It is impressive how pertinent this is for this carnival…almost like you traveled forward in time and knew it was coming! What’s your secret? :)
Amanda @Let’s Take the Metro recently posted..The Gratitude PostMy Profile

15 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 9:42 am

Haha – Yes, I traveled through time to make this work out perfectly. How did you know?

16 Erin OK September 26, 2011 at 1:04 am

I feel the same way about my son. I think of him as my little zen master. Nice how well you capture how so many of us feel. Beautiful poem!

17 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

Thank you, Erin!

18 Ruby September 26, 2011 at 6:15 am

This poem is so wonderful, it captures my heart. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Ruby recently posted..Ways To Improve Female FertilityMy Profile

19 Rachael September 27, 2011 at 11:08 pm

“Unknowing yet wise” — yes!
Rachael recently posted..On My Mind: 09.26.11My Profile

20 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

Thanks, Rachael :-)

21 Alicia C. October 13, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Charise – Beautifully put! The poem is exactly the description of mindful that I needed to read. I have become more and more aware of the need to be here now and forget about everything else for a while. My husband keeps saying, “When this happens, it’ll be easier to enjoy this time.” Or, “Once we get _____, we can enjoy each other.” I keep telling him that NOW won’t be around when his perfect timing finally (if ever) arrives.
Alicia C. recently posted..Money? What Money?! {#CarNatPar}My Profile