20 Ways to Help Your Child Sleep Better

As I’ve mentioned before, Baby throws parties in the middle of the night. He is the Energizer Bunny incarnate: he rarely needs more than 9 hours of sleep at night, and no matter how poorly I think he slept the night before, it never affects his next day and his naps are always perfect.

Although Baby seems fine with his sleep patterns, Hubby and I, of course, are always on the hunt for ways to catch a bit more sleep. This means I’ve spent a fair amount of time reading about gentle ways to help your child sleep. Here is a list of solutions that I have come across from various sources. Sometimes they work, and other times they don’t, but I thought it would be helpful – for me and any other mama out there who would like a more restful night of sleep – to compile a list of tactics in one place.

1. Introduce a lovey as a symbol of sleep and as a comfort item for your little one.

2. Follow a bedtime routine.

3. Give your child a soothing bath before bed. (Since Baby hates baths, this one never works for us!)

4. Massage your little one with lotion – preferably a lotion that is naturally lavender scented.

5. Play white noise in the background.

6. Use black out shades – or a night light – depending on whether your little one seems to need more or less light.

7. Drink chamomile tea that will be delivered to your baby through breastmilk, or offer your little one her own cup of chamomile tea.

8. Read a special bedtime book or sing a favorite sleepy song as part of your nightly routine.

9. Put a few drops of lavender essential oil on your child’s mattress or rub it into his feet.

10. Offer your child some organic cherries with their dinner. They naturally promote sleep since they contain melatonin.

11. Make sure your little one gets lots of physical activity and fresh air throughout the day to help naturally tire him out at night.

12. Try offering your child Herbs for Kids Valerian Super Calm or Hyland’s – Calms Forte 4 Kids if needed.

13. Stick to a regular nap schedule has it will help night sleep.

14. Have a consistent bed time and waking time every day of the week.

15. Make sure your little one has had plenty to eat and drink before bedtime. If you are nursing, “tank up” your child.

16. Wear your baby down in a sling.

17. Leave something that smells like you in bed with your baby.

18. Use a ceiling fan in the bedroom.

19. Nurse your baby down.

20. Co-sleep.

What helps your little one sleep better?
mom sleeps with baby

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to sign up for a FREE Team Beachbody Account to get support, motivation, and access to free tools to keep you on track with your fitness & health goals!

1. says

Thankfully, we’ve never really struggled much putting Handsome to sleep. He gets a nice warm bath (which he loves) with lavender bubble bath, then he gets lavender lotion, comfy pjs and nursing time with mama. He falls asleep listening to baby einstein classical lullabies, cuddling with a blanky and stuffed elephant he’s had since he was born.

I just love this photo of you and baby sleeping! You look so pretty, Charise!
    Eve recently posted..#BlogBoycottDay: I Tweet, Therefore I amMy Profile

2. says

We had a struggle last night, but most nights are pretty easy. I don’t follow much of any routine other than this: I make our tiny apartment dark and quiet. Then she climbs into my lap to nurse herself to sleep. It might be 10, it might be 11… it could be later. I just follow her internal clock.

However, on the rare occasion when she is too wound up, I usually just lie on the couch (to doze) and let her play until she is ready. I have a photo my husband took one morning when he found her sleeping reverse of me on the couch. She hadn’t even woken me as she climbed up to sleep!
    Momma Jorje recently posted..Amniocentesis – What is it *really* like? – Part IMy Profile

3. says

Thanks for this, Charise! Sleep has been a challenge this week, and I’m not sure it’s so much something we’re doing wrong as it is my resistance to change. The comments are reminding me that each child has their own schedule, and that schedule is not necessarily the same each day!
    Melissa recently posted..This Moment: Rabbit KissesMy Profile

• says

Melissa, I’m so glad you brought up resistance to change. Even though being up with Baby a lot is obviously tiring, when I make the conscious choice to just accept it rather than fight it, it is SO much easier. I have been doing this for a while and I can’t believe how powerful that little choice can be in how I experience our nights.

4. says

I will have to try some these tips with my own kids. We already try some of them but still struggle at bedtime and they still get up half way through the night. I will also have to check out the valerian root for kids. I use valerian root myself to help me calm down enough to sleep.

5. says

I don’t know how I missed this post! Little M likes to party in the middle of the night, too. Baby and Little M should hang. For us, what works changes every week or two (for both nap and night time sleep). Babywearing is the #1, fail-safe way to get him to sleep, but sometimes I’m just so exhausted I want to lie down too. But when you lie down together and he finished nursing and pops up, says, “Blah blah blah” and proceeds to crawl all over you, it’s like–SIGH–what now? I hate having to get up after lying down. Isn’t that so lazy and pathetic? :)
    Gaby @ Tmuffin recently posted..Sunday Surf: Food, Sleep, Cloth Diaper Covers, and Games for KidsMy Profile

6. says

I can’t tell you how I don’t miss this time. 😉 My oldest was a horrible sleeper. At 10 – 12 months he was still waking 8 times a night, and only wanted me (and breastfeeding really).

I can’t tell you how many 3am drives I took with my little ones, it seemed nothing would get them to sleep.

Baby girl was a nightmare to get down but once she was asleep it was a little easier.

Lots of luck!
    Brenna @ Almost All The Truth recently posted..Let’s start the new school year off right: green, green, and more greenMy Profile

7. says

Agree with everything you’ve said here and I would emphasize the need the blackout shades. I took some advice from a maternity nurse and she told me – no crack of light whatsoever was the best thing. Not under the door, the windows, nothing. We had blackout paper taped to the window and shades and a draft excluder to stop the light under the door. With twins, sleep was a priority for us. And it truly worked.
    Alison Golden – The Secret Life of a Warrior Woman recently posted..Why Twins Should Not Become OneMy Profile

8. says

A warm bath before bedtime always worked for us but it may not be the same for others. Sleep is very important and babies needs to sleep more. Toddlers however try to skip naps but as parents we ought to make them recover the right amount of sleep.

9. says

Jesse was a dream sleeper at night, but refused to nap during the day, at all! Which meant I was constantly exhausted from all the night-time feedings (which he didn’t even open his eyes for) and long days – never got a nap myself 😉 And things have not changed, at two years old he now never naps during the day, but thankfully sleeps for around 11 hours at night :)
    Christine @ African Babies Don’t Cry recently posted..Guest Post : Side-lying Nursing: A Breastfeeding Tutorial To Give You More SleepMy Profile