My Baby Throws Parties in the Middle of the Night!

My baby throws parties in the middle of the night. I promise I am not exaggerating. This has occurred sporadically throughout his almost one year on this planet, and on Tuesday night of this week, he threw the mother of all parties.

After Tuesday night’s massive party, I realized that I needed to write a blog post about it so that I could have it documented. I’m sure one day Baby will appreciate knowing he was a closet party animal as a baby!

On this specific night, Baby decided to party from 2:00 am until 5:15 am. He then woke for the day at 6:30 am, bright eyed and bushy tailed. His energy astounds me! If I didn’t know better, I would swear that Baby had been doing shots of tequila throughout the night, but since I do know better – and since he did not appear to be hungover the next day – I have to concede that something else was going on.

Since there is no video available of Baby’s middle of the night party, here is a brief description of what occurred:

The Movements:
Crawling
Jumping
Rolling all over the place
Kicking, kicking, kicking, kicking
Smiling!
Standing while holding on to us
Dancing while holding on to us
Playing with my hair
Touching our faces
Grabbing our heads
Constant, frenetic motion

The Soundtrack:
Laugher
Squeals
Baby dinosaur screams
Trills
Dolphin sounds
Clicking, clicking, clicking with his tongue
Raspberries
Dadadadadadadadadadada!
Unk unk unk unk (the sound when Baby finds something cute or adorable)
The famous talking with the mouth closed sounds

I’ve read that babies can be very active at night when they are preparing for a major developmental milestone. Baby is very close to walking, so hopefully, this is what is going on. If I had been documenting his past middle of the night parties, I would probably find that they happened before other milestones.

Last night, Baby didn’t exactly throw a party, but he was awake and wanting Mama for a good portion of the night. Nothing like a little exhaustion to add to the excitement of his first birthday party this weekend!

Baby smiles and has a mohawk

This is Baby's face right before the night of the mother of all parties. I should have known it was going to be a wild night - look at that mohawk and mischievous smile!

Has your little one ever thrown parties in the middle of the night? How do you handle it?

1 Dave Higgs-Vis@Folkabout Baby June 9, 2011 at 11:20 am

My little one also makes dinosaur noises! It’s so cute.

She hasn’t thrown any parties yet, but if you’re right about developmental milestones, she will soon. She’s so close to walking now.

2 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Ha! The dino noises are amazing, right?

3 Petunia GreenBeans June 9, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Oh geez Charise. I remember those days…and I’m here to tell ya the partying never stops. My guys are 3, 5 and 15 and I’ve not had a solid night’s sleep in nearly 16 years!!

They march ya know, as soon as they hit the big boy/girl bed. It starts with snuggles, then questions that beg for answering “mommy where does the sun go at night? One day I’ll be older than my big brother right? Is it okay to hit a bully? But mommy I’m not tired…”

The teenager marches for a nightmare or test-the-next-day worries (though you never heard that from me!!)

And I suspect one day when they’ve grown and left the nest I will still wake up at 2am, and 3am, and 4am, etc…wishing one of them might come marching through my bedroom door <3

Hope you steal a catnap of two!!
Petunia GreenBeans recently posted..3 Must-See Events for World Oceans Day 2011 this WaterWednesday!My Profile

4 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Ha! I guess it never ends! No catnaps for me today. I’m getting ready for Baby’s big party and Baby decided his afternoon nap would only last 35 minutes ;-)

5 Petunia GreenBeans June 9, 2011 at 1:43 pm

PS >> Happy First Birthday Baby!!

6 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Thank you, Petunia!!

7 Kelly June 9, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Oh poor mama…at least you have a good attitude about it!

My little one did that for the first time ever just the other night, and I thought I would die! I am so hoping it doesn’t become a habit…but I do think it has to do with that whole milestone thing.

I often think they’re lucky they’re so darn cute. ;D Hope you get some good rest soon!!
Kelly recently posted..My Dream Daycare…My Profile

8 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

So funny that your little one did this the other night too! I hope it doesn’t happen again for you ;-)

9 Kelly June 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Maybe they texted each other ;)
Kelly recently posted..My Dream Daycare…My Profile

10 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm

LOL!

11 Eileen Ludwig June 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Oh what fun, no sleep for you and a very active baby. It will be over before you know it so enjoy it and it sounds like you are
Eileen Ludwig recently posted..Join Forum participate connect communicateMy Profile

12 Jessica | Cloth Diapering Mama June 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I always have pre-party excitement…he must be that way too ;)

My kids both did this on occassion. Co-sleeping makes it more interesting…lol…sometimes I laugh…sometimes I want to cry!
Jessica | Cloth Diapering Mama recently posted..Its Dessert Time…COCONUT- VEGAN &amp ORGANICMy Profile

13 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm

LOL – maybe it is pre party excitement!

14 Bibi June 9, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Poor Charise, I feel for you….my second baby was a closet party animal and that’s when this mama got hooked on caffeine. The good news is….they do outgrow it eventually. It took mine about a year…..,it was hard, but have can you be upset at a smiling face even if it’s 3am,right?
Bibi recently posted..Top 13 Kids Best Protection &amp Safe SunscreensMy Profile

15 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Thanks, Bibi ;-) I love seeing that smiling face anytime – even at 3 am!

16 Angela Johnson June 10, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Wow! he is active. Remember those times only last for little while. One day you will long for those nights. LOL!

17 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Angela, that is great advice! I always remind myself that I’ll be wishing for these days at some point :-)

18 smallkucing June 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Mine did not party much at night. LOL

Hope you are getting enough sleep.

Kathy
smallkucing recently posted..Restaurant Yuyi Bak Kut Teh- Old Klang RoadMy Profile

19 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 12, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Thanks, Kathy :-) Not getting enough sleep yet, but maybe one day soon!

20 Lana @ Dentist West Hollywood July 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm

What a smile on that little face! He is TOO cute, but I can only imagine how un-cute you feel after being up half the night attending one of his little “parties.” My sister and her husband just had a little one of their own, I’ll have to ask them if he throws any parties like yours.

21 Karen @ Los Angeles search engine optimization October 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm

If he is throwing parties at this age what will he do when he is a teenager.

22 Tracie Potts December 11, 2011 at 11:31 pm

It starts with snuggles, then questions that beg for answering “mommy where does the sun go at night? Remember those times only last for little while.
Tracie Potts recently posted..Gout TipsMy Profile