Baby’s 1st Birthday Party Recap: Ideas, Recipes & Pictures

Baby’s 1st birthday party was a huge success on Saturday! We had around 40 family members as guests, with almost everyone being from out of state, so we were really feeling the love for Baby. Baby appeared to enjoy himself thoroughly!

The Food
We barbecued hamburgers, chicken, and veggie burgers, and put out two three-foot heroes for guests to snack on while they waited for their barbecued meals. The grandparents contributed yummy side dishes: potato salad, green salad, fruit salad, and a basil, tomato, mozzarella pasta salad. Hubby made delicious guacamole (Baby enjoyed this snack the most!), and I made a warm Mexican dip.

Mexican Dip Recipe
1 large container of Creamed Cheese
8 oz of Vegetarian Chili
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Spread Creamed Cheese in baking dish.
Then add chili.
Then add cheese.
DON’T MIX.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350.
Mix & Enjoy!!

The Desserts
- I made Lemonade Pie with this recipe from Kristl at The Budget Diet. It was so delicious and a big hit. Next time, I’ll make two pies for a crowd this size because it went so quickly!

- I made healthy, sugarless cupcakes, otherwise known as Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins with this recipe from Mothering Magazine. I topped them with a raspberry jam glaze.

cupcakes with flags stuck in them

I added little flags to each cupcake because Baby was born on Flag Day!

- I made a sugarless, whole wheat carrot cake for Baby’s 1st birthday cake with this recipe from Homemade Baby Food Recipes. The link includes many other healthy birthday cake recipes too!

- I made a white, sugar free frosting for the cake by whipping 8 oz of creamed cheese and 4 oz of pure maple syrup. Since Baby was born on Flag Day and we were doing a red, white and blue theme, I wrote his name in blueberries in the center of the cake and put a border of strawberries around the edge of the cake. This was a nice alternative to using sugary icing to decorate the cake!

The Invitations and Thank You Cards
As you probably know from reading my blog, we take tons of pictures, and we wanted Baby’s 1st birthday party invitations and thank you cards to display several pictures of Baby so our guests could have them as keepsakes of the party.

We used Vistaprint to make the invitations and thank you cards. We can always count on them for high quality products and the most discounted prices around.

birthday party invitation with baby pictures

Baby's 1st birthday party invitation with the party information blocked out.

Pictures!
Here are some highlights from the big day!

Baby sleeping with his mother

Wake up! It's time to get ready for Baby's birthday party!

Smiling baby in high chair

Baby enjoyed eating at his party!

A family at the birthday party

Our happy family

Singing happy birthday to baby

Singing Happy Birthday to Baby!

Baby eats birthday cake

Baby enjoyed tasting his birthday cake, but he was more interested in eating the strawberries off of the top!

Tomorrow, we will celebrate Baby’s real 1st birthday by visiting the Children’s Museum with friends and attending their Messy Play class where Baby will get to do things like paint with yogurt and play with water – fun!

1 Melissa June 13, 2011 at 11:43 am

It looks like you had a wonderful celebration. Happy Birthday to baby and happy birthing day to you, Charise! xox

2 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Thank you, Melissa! xo

3 Jessica | Cloth Diapering Mama June 13, 2011 at 11:57 am

Great pics!!!! The lemonade cake sounds amazing ;)

sending bday hugs from California!!!!!!!!!!

4 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm

It really was amazing! I literally licked the bowl as I was making it – unprecedented for me!

Sending hugs back!

5 Ana @Pandamoly June 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

It looks like you guys had a great time! I’m in planning mode for my son’s 1st Birthday Party now and may have to gank that Mexican Dip recipe – it sounds delicious! We’re doing something similar – barbeque at my house for about 50 guests. I think I’m going to try one of those cake recipes from the Homemade Baby Food Recipes site. So cool! Happy Birthday to your little mister!

6 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Thank you, Ana! We really did have a wonderful time! I hope the recipes work out for you! The great thing is that they are all super easy :-)

7 Dave Higgs-Vis@Folkabout Baby June 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Aww, it looks like you guys had a ton of fun!

Here’s an amazing sugar-free cupcake recipe for you: http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake10.html

I substitute xylitol for the Splenda, and it works wonderfully. Best sugar-free dessert ever!

8 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

We really did, Dave! Thank you for the recipe! I just saved it. Looks so good!

9 Kelly June 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm

So glad to hear it went well! Can you believe you have a one year old?? I am still having a hard time accepting that we’re getting so much closer to that point!

Happy birthday to your little one. :)

10 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Kelly! I really can’t believe Baby is going to be one tomorrow… what a miraculous year!

11 MamaP June 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Tomorrow sounds like a perfect day!!!

12 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

I hope it will be! We’re going with our friends. Baby and I are going to go out to breakfast by ourselves before we leave for the museum and get pancakes and waffles with strawberries :-)

13 Jenn@organic-mama.ca June 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Super cute! I like the invitation, and better yet your choice of baked goods! I’m going to check out those recipe websites now :)

14 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 14, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thank you, Jenn!

15 Erika @NAMAmmaSTE June 13, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Sounds like it was a great day!  Dylan loves guacamole too.  I think it is one of his favorite foods.  I actually used to mix avocado in with anything he didn’t like.

We didn’t really get to have a big party for Dylan’s first birthday because we were part of a destination wedding.  Although, he still got a pretty special day at a resort in Jamaica, so I’m not too bummed.  It would have been fun to make him a cake like the one you made though.  Luckily, the cake the resort provided for his mini celebration when were there was more of an angel food cake with whipped cream and fruit rather than a richer cake.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the adorable photos!  And, of course, thanks for the great recipes that I will definitely be using!

16 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 14, 2011 at 9:10 pm

It was! And today – his actual birthday – was such a special day too!

That’s great that Dylan likes guacamole so much too! Sounds like he had a very special 1st birthday! I wouldn’t have minded spending Baby’s 1st birthday in Jamaica ;-)

I’m glad to hear you’re going to give the recipes a try! Let me know how they turn out :-)

17 Eve June 15, 2011 at 1:10 pm

It looks like you all had a wonderful time! Happy Birthday to your little guy!!

18 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 15, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thank you, Eve! We really did!

19 andy@sustainable development July 26, 2011 at 2:24 pm

The most important part of every party really is the photo memories. It is amazing how quickly they grow up, and those photos will always be something to look back and reminisce upon. Looks like fun was had by all!

20 Girls birthday party October 20, 2011 at 2:59 am

Nice blog. i liked all pics. Mexican Dip is really delicious desert. thank you for its recipe.