5 Easy Steps for Creating a Healthier Home

With the official start of summer right around the corner, as we spend more time outside in beautiful weather, it somehow seems easier to prioritize being healthy and creating a healthier home. Here are 5 easy steps that we will be prioritizing this summer to create a healthier home:

1. Eat whole, unprocessed, organic foods as much as possible:
Summer is a great time to try to eat as many foods as possible in their natural forms. The more unnatural and processed a meal is, the more chemicals are in your food. This means more synthetics, more additives, more mystery ingredients, less healthy enzymes and nutrients, and less support for organic farms. I know it can be challenging to buy all organic, but you can follow these easy organic guidelines to make sure you buy organically for the most important foods. Also, by eating foods in their natural and whole form, you are more likely to avoid packaging chemicals such as BPA.

2. Avoid plastic as much as possible:
We are surrounded by plastic – it’s in our packaging, our children’s toys, our household products, and even in our clothing. This may make it feel like avoiding plastic is a no win battle, but it is worth reducing your plastic exposure in order to avoid BPA, PVC, and PET. Why surround ourselves with carcinogens when simple choices like using cloth bags, buying wooden toys, and using glass or stainless steel containers can make our homes healthier? For more information on the dangers of plastic and for suggestions on how to avoid it, check out Cloth Diapering Mama’s post: Leaching…yucky word…yucky consequences…PLASTIC.

3. Fight indoor air pollution:
Summer is the best time ever to get in the habits that reduce indoor air pollution!
– Don’t wear shoes in the house. You’re most likely going to be wearing flip flops this summer anyway, so just slide them off at the door. This greatly reduces the amount of lead dust, bacteria, and allergens in your home!
– Open your windows! Especially when there is beautiful weather, why not keep your home healthier and enjoy the fresh air?
– Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to clean your home. We bought our Eureka Air Extreme after reading all of the fantastic research on AllergyBuyersClub.com.

4. Keep flame retardants away:
Sleepwear for children 9 months old to 14 years of age is treated with dangerous flame retardant chemicals. To avoid exposing your children to these chemicals, you can buy organic sleepwear or buy regular sleepwear that has a bright yellow tag attached stating that the garment is either “not intended as children’s sleepwear”, “meant to fit tightly”, or “is not treated with flame retardants”. These flame retardant chemicals are also in our mattresses and many of the foam products that we use for our babies and children. We will definitely be buying an organic mattress when it is time for a new one!

5. Use natural cleansers:
We use a mixture of vinegar and water on everything! As my baby licks the floor and bites the furniture, I feel especially thankful for not using chemicals and toxins on the surfaces of our home. For more cleaning power, you can mix in some Borax or baking soda.

Baby plays on the grass

Let the lovely fresh air into your home with open windows and fight indoor air pollution at the same time!

For more advice on creating a healthier home, visit Healthy Child, Healthy World.

What is your favorite piece of advice for creating a healthier home?

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to sign up for a FREE Team Beachbody Account to get support, motivation, and access to free tools to keep you on track with your fitness & health goals!

1. says

I love this post! It’s taken me baby steps over years to do all of these things, so “easy” doesn’t exactly describe it for me, but it’s definitely worth is, and every little step towards them is a step towards health!

2. says

Great tip on the flame retardant clothing for kids. It was always hard for me to find non-pj’s for my kids. Most of the pj’s for kids are of a polyester fabric and I always preferred cotton. So my kids would wear cotton long johns and big t-shirts for pj’s. If you avoid the polyester blends, you avoid the flame retardant. Polyester melts so you need to add retardant to it. Cotton and natural fabrics do not melt. So no need to add flame retardant.
    Lisa @Granola Catholic recently posted..10 Easy Ways Live More Green TodayMy Profile

3. says

Awesome suggestions Charise. :)

I’m continually amazed at how many of these things I’m doing now – things I certainly didn’t pay attention to just a year ago!

Another way I’m trying to make our home healthy is getting outdoors as much as possible – especially now that it’s summer and we don’t have to wear all those layers! Even if it’s just taking the dog for a walk – I want the Bean to get outdoors as much as possible (and it’s honestly not something I always want to do – especially when it’s hot!).

We’re also growing some of our own food this year – and hoping it works! 😀
    Kelly recently posted..I Finally Planted My Straw Bale Garden!My Profile

4. says

Great Information Charise! As a fellow greenie mommy, I already adhere to your 5 ways. A tip? We have many green plants in our home. They help eliminate toxins, and add oxygen, and beauty to any space. We found a list of safe greenery for our children in Gorgeously Green by Sophie Uliano.
    michelle spreckels recently posted..5 ways to be Beachy GreenMy Profile

5. says

I try to have my windows open even on not so warm & sunny days. I can’t imagine how expensive an organic mattress will be, but living healthier certainly is more appealing!

6. says

These are great tips,Charise.

I am a stickler about people taking off their shoes at the door and I never liked my kids sleeping in flame retardant sleepwear. Healthy and organic food was never issue in my house (luckily), but we need to work more on our plastic use and green cleaners.

7. says

A lot of sense and great information. You are absolutely right that eating unprocessed foods like fresh vegetables, fruits, and fresh meats contributes good health to your body. In the other sense, vinegar is good as a cleanser because as the study shows that it kills bacteria 99% , and it is much effective than other disinfectants that has a strong mixture of chemicals.
    Alyssa Hall recently posted..CNA Certified Nursing AssistantMy Profile

8. Tawna Guerra says

There is no good thing to benefit about in eating processed and preservative foods, it will makes your body prone to diseases that usually cause you to die. Eating healthy foods like fresh vegetables, fresh fruits/juice, and all fresh foods is necessary. This could be a great reminder to all of us here to beware of eating processed foods.

Tawna Guerra recently posted..Woodworking AdviceMy Profile