10 Green and Natural Gifts for a One Year Old

As you can tell, this week’s blog posts are dedicated to all things Baby’s first birthday. This is such a special milestone, and we’re just basking in the amazingness of our son! What better way to honor our little one’s miraculous place in our world by starting with their first birthdays to establish the tradition of including green and natural gifts in our celebrations!

10 Green & Natural Gifts for a One Year Old

Here are a few of the green and natural gifts that Baby received for his first birthday this week:

1. Pintoy Cargo Truck:
With all of the hazards of plastic, I love that Baby has a beautiful wooden ride on toy! I also appreciate that Pintoy tests against the European toy safety standard EN71 to ensure physical and mechanical safety, and freedom from hazardous lead and heavy metal migration. They manufacture their products from rubberwood, an environmentally friendly choice.

2. Green Start Book Towers: Little Learning Books: 10 Chunky Books Made from 98% Recycled Materials:
Baby is loving these colorful, chunky books, and I love that they are almost fully made from recycled materials.

3. Skip Hop Zoo Lunchie Insulated Lunch Bag, Dog:
We’re on the go so often and many of Baby’s favorite foods need to be kept cold. Rather than use plastic or paper bags to transport his food, we now have this adorable monkey lunch bag. Baby loves to see his favorite animal, and I love that the bag is PVC, Phthalate, and BPA free!

4. Green Messaging Clothing: We love to share our mission with the world!

Baby in Think Green shirt

How can you not think green when a face like this tells you to do it?!

5. Homemade Keepsake Cards: Rather than buying a new paper product, why not construct your own keepsake card from materials you have at home? We love this beautiful card!

Homemade 1st birthday card

Recycled beauty

6. Reusable bags as gift wrapping: One of Baby’s gifts came in an adorable monkey bag. This gave Baby more of his favorite animal to look at, and it gave Mama another reusable shopping bag for the grocery store!

7. Art that celebrates nature!: As you may have noticed from past blog posts, we are big fans of nature. Also, Baby particularly loves sticks, so we couldn’t resist the stunningly clever art of my friend – Brooklyn-based artist, Laura Lofaro’s company: Arbor Arts NYC. Laura created gorgeous, framed art of Baby’s name written in “tree art”. If you are a nature lover, you will adore this distinctive concept.

8. Organic sleepwear or sleepwear without flame retardants: Baby doesn’t wear sleepwear with dangerous flame retardant chemicals, so we really appreciated the gifts of organic sleepwear and pajamas that include the bright yellow tag stating they were made without flame retardants.

9. Baby’s very own garden plant: Baby and I love checking on the growth of his organic tomato plant, and it will give us a reason to go outside together every day this summer!

10. A special memory or experience: Memories of new traditions and special days don’t take up space or materials and they last forever! How about a membership to a fun museum? I took Baby to the Children’s Museum on his birthday, and we had an unforgettable days.

Baby plays with colored ice

Baby plays with colored ice at the Messy Play session at the Children's Museum.

We started the tradition of Baby and I going out to breakfast to eat pancakes and waffles on his birthday morning.

Baby and mom at birthday breakfast

As you can see, we had a great time! Baby loved his strawberry waffles and blueberry pancakes.

Dada started the tradition of making a whole grain pizza as Baby’s birthday pie for dinner!

pizza with a birthday candle

Baby loves Dada's homemade pizza!

For more green gift ideas, visit Healthy Child, Healthy World.

Do you have natural and green birthday gifts for a one year old that you can recommend?

This post contains affiliate links.

1 Eve June 16, 2011 at 11:56 am

Such a good list, Charise! I’ll have to check out some of those toys, especially the wooden ones. We also started traditions on Handsome’s first birthday. I made him whole wheat pancakes with organic powered sugar and he gobbled it right up! I can’t wait for next year to do it all over again. :-)
Eve recently posted..A Poem For My Father: My Hero, My FriendMy Profile

2 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 20, 2011 at 8:25 am

That sounds like a very yummy tradition for Handsome’s birthday!

3 Jessica | Cloth Diapering Mama June 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm

OMG…GREAT GIFTS!!!

My family knows I’m green and so my favorite gifts for him were stainless steel plates, bowls and cups (klean kanteen is awesome) and my sister got us a brand new wool soaker for bedtime….those were my faves ;)

4 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 20, 2011 at 8:24 am

Love Klean Kanteen! Thanks!

5 Michelle June 16, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Aww, happy birthday! One is such a milestone isn’t it? Sweet. ;)
Michelle recently posted..OMG, Are You Serious!? Breast Cancer Pinkwashing and KFCs Race for DiabetesMy Profile

6 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 20, 2011 at 8:24 am

It’s such a special milestone! Thanks, Michelle!

7 kat August 11, 2011 at 6:48 am

very nice. your baby is so cute. lots of wishes to him for his birthday.
kat recently posted..Pregnancy Miracle: Great Way to Get Pregnant NaturallyMy Profile

8 Lori Popkewitz Alper September 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

What a great list of gifts for a one year old! My favorite is the Green Start Book Towers. I’m going to steal your pancake waffle breakfast tradition.
Lori Popkewitz Alper recently posted..BPA Strikes Again and This Time at KidsMy Profile

9 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama September 28, 2011 at 10:00 am

Thanks, Lori!

10 organics recycling January 31, 2012 at 6:57 am

To give the natural gift for a one year old baby is a forward step for greenery and eco friendly world.

11 gattani@childrens clothing philadelphia April 26, 2012 at 11:36 am

I think best gift for kids is a organic dresses. These are nature friendly and also very cheap.

12 Bianca January 14, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Thank you for the list of ideas.. my daughter is going to be one in 2 months (so bittersweet!) so I’ve been coming up with thoughtful ideas for her. I love the special meals.
Bianca recently posted..Fresh off the clothes line: Buttons Diapers and a giveaway!My Profile

13 Amanda Green May 20, 2013 at 10:36 am

Where can I get that shirt baby wearing ?

14 Charise Rohm Nulsen May 20, 2013 at 11:21 am

We got it as a gift a few years ago, but I believe it was from Babies R Us.

15 Deb E October 19, 2013 at 1:53 pm

This was a helpful post as I”m looking for a gift and want to make it as “green” as possible. My favorite here is the Book Tower since I love books so much. Thanks for the suggestions.

16 Maryann D. November 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

All of these are wonderful gifts for children. I will remember them when my nephew turns one. I do love the Skip Hop Zoo Lunchie Insulated Lunch Bag. Great idea.

17 Byron March 18, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I personally fell for the look of the Baby Bjorn baby slings but are really difficult to locate somewhere around us.
As a substitute We opted for a different style carrier entirely and its actually incredible how effectively it performs.
Look at the Hipseat, its just the thing for babies and
toddlers
Byron recently posted..ByronMy Profile

18 Heather Nugent March 31, 2014 at 9:06 am

This is wonderful! When my son turned one, I made a trip to Toys R Us to return ninety percent of what he had been given because although I appreciated the thought, the things he got were 1. too much and 2. not aligned with the environment I was creating for his development. These are awesome suggestions any mom of a soon-to-be one year-old could forward to the family and friends as a “wish list”.