Bake Your Own Bread

Do you have any interest in baking your own bread?

First, I’ll tell you why it’s a good idea. Then, I’ll tell you how you can make your own bread with a super easy recipe in under an hour. Finally, I’ll tell you why I’m in love with my new bread machine.

5 Reasons to Bake Your Own Bread
1. It’s healthier: No chemical additives, preservatives, hydrogenated oils, and fattening sweeteners.

2. It tastes incredible!

3. It saves money: We bought a yummy loaf of bread from the farmer’s market last weekend and it cost $4.00. For the same amount, you can get a big package of organic bread flour and make 4 loaves of your own organic bread.

4. The house smells incredible and you can feel really good about the food your family is eating.

5. Your children can learn about the process of where their food comes from, and they can respect the whole, organic ingredients that go into a food they probably eat every day.

Here is a SUPER EASY recipe for homemade bread on Farmgirl Fare‘s blog: Farmgirl Susan’s Almost Too Easy Whole Wheat Beer Bread Recipe. I’ve made this bread several times, and it’s easy, hearty, and delicious. We’ve cut it up in chunks and used it as a dipper for fondue and really enjoyed it as a side dish when eating vegetarian chili.

Homemade bread

My first experience making this bread a few months ago.

If you can get your hands on a bread maker, prepare yourself to fall in love with a kitchen appliance!
My parents bought me an incredible Christmas present this year: Breadman TR2700 Stainless-Steel Programmable Convection Bread Maker

Yesterday, I made Honey Granola Bread in my Breadman and it was such a wonderful experience. The directions were really easy to follow, and the machine was extremely easy to clean. It basically functions as a crockpot for bread. There are over 100 baking options – including crusts, pizza dough, jams, and rolls. There are even settings for gluten-free.

I am committing to baking one 2-pound loaf of bread per week for my family. It was such an easy and fun process. Baby and I loved watching the bread rise and bake through the window on the Breadman and it was such a delicious addition to our dinner last night, and my lunch today. I’m looking forward to trying many of these recipes. Next up is Cinnamon Raisin Bread – yum!

My Breadman Honey Granola Bread

My Breadman Honey Granola Bread

Do you make homemade bread? What are your favorites? Let me know in the Comments section below!

1 Bibi March 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I love everything about home made bread. I grew up in Europe and my grandma always used to bake bread and rolls. My favorite was her Potato bread and close behind was Pumpernickel bread.

When I moved to Canada I couldn’t get used to the white fluff bread and all the European style breads were so expensive so I started making my own…yes, I do it in bread maker now and I love my little machine. The bread maker makes the best sticky buns and pizza crust too.
Bibi recently posted..Cash Poor- Mexico Dreaming &amp Tequila’sMy Profile

2 Jenn @ South of Sheridan March 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm

My dad used to have a bread maker, and he absolutely loved it.

Since I’m diabetic, I try not to eat bread as much as possible . . . which is a real bummer. lol If I could find a lower-carb version to make, I would probably try it.
Jenn @ South of Sheridan recently posted..Who is really reading thisMy Profile

3 JDaniel4's Mom March 15, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I bet the smell of it baking drives everyone to the kitchen. I love baby watching the bread.

4 Caren with a "C" March 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I like when you can set it on the timer and wake up to fresh bread for breakfast! Mine is about 13 1/2 years old. We got it as a wedding gift. It still works. I use it to make pizza dough also.
Caren with a “C” recently posted..Pillsbury Bake-Off and other Recipe ContestsMy Profile

5 TRR March 15, 2011 at 6:10 pm

OK, you convinced me. I want a bread maker. Maybe I get get the boyfriend to buy me one for my birthday :-) He reaps the benefits if he does!

6 Fenny March 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Oh, fresh baked bread!!! With real butter melting on top of it…. YUM
I am absolutely not a bread eater, and I am borderline-diabetic, so I stick to dark bread. If I have to eat it I like dark, sunflower, pumpkin, flax seed, sesame seed bread. If I could make it myself, the traditional way, I would.
Pic of Baby and bread is so sweet :)
Fenny recently posted..Living abroad – yes Or no No- it’s yes…My Profile

7 Julia @ A Little Bit of All of It March 17, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I really want to do this and even have a breadmaker (sitting dusty and unloved in a closet) but for some reason it scares me. And, from what I remember, it made a small loaf that we would eat in one sitting. And I had a hard time cutting it to eat for sandwiches. Any tips??
Julia @ A Little Bit of All of It recently posted..Yellow Elm Headband WinnerMy Profile

8 I Thought I Knew Mama March 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Great questions. My Breadman can make a 2lb loaf, which is big, BUT I have to admit that it doesn’t seem as big as store bought loaves at first glance. Store bought loaves are longer and the homemade bread is higher, but it’s still a full 2 lbs. As for cutting: it is a little tricky to cut and my slices were far from perfectly sized, but they were good enough. I used a bread cutting knife from out knife block set. Also, I was in Bed Bath & Beyond the other day, and I saw a gadget that lines up along the side of the bread and gives you slots to place the knife into so all pieces are equally sized. Maybe something like that and a good knife would help? Why not just dust the breadmaker off, and give it a try? It’s so easy, that it is totally worth it to throw the ingredients in for some cinnamon raisin bread on a Saturday and then use the whole loaf to make French toast for breakfast on a Sunday. You’ll have to let me know if you try it again!

9 I Thought I Knew Mama March 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

P.S. I just made a really delicious loaf of cinnamon raisin bread and was rereading the Breadman manual. They suggest a serrated bread knife like I said in my last comment, but they also suggested using an electric bread slicing knife for even slices. I hadn’t thought about that as an option, so I just wanted to pass it along :-)

10 Julia @ A Little Bit of All of It June 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

Care to share your cinnamon raisin bread recipe?

11 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 24, 2011 at 9:25 am

Sure! This is for a 2lb loaf of cinnamon raisin bread. I use the organic form of all of these ingredients. Put the ingredients into the bread maker in this order:
Water – 1 1/4 cups + 2 tbsp
Oil or Butter – 2 tbsp
Brown Sugar, firmly packed – 3 tbsp
Salt: 2 tsp
Dry milk solids: 2 tbsp
Cinnamon: 1 tbsp
Bread flour: 4 cups
Active dry yeast: 2 1/4 tsp
Put raisins in the fruit and nut dispenser if you have one (I’ve done it without using the dispenser too): 2/3 cup
Select the “Sweet Course”

Let me know how it turns out!

12 Julia @ A Little Bit of All of It June 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

What are dry milk solids? Where can I get them?

13 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 24, 2011 at 9:52 am

It’s kind of like powdered milk. You can find it at any basic grocery store in the baking aisle.

14 Julia @ A Little Bit of All of It June 24, 2011 at 10:19 am

One more question. :) What brand of flour do you use? I have King Arthur whole wheat but it does not say it is bread flour. Does it need to say it is bread flour?

15 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama June 24, 2011 at 10:29 am

Whole Wheat flour is different than bread flour. I use King Arthur Organic Bread Flour. Whole Foods always has it.
:-)

16 Christy June 30, 2011 at 3:08 pm

In Lithuania, they have a ceremonial tradition of welcoming new guests into homes with homemade rye bread. While standing outside the house, residents form a receiving line to greet their guests. Usually, the matriarch of the household has linen draped across her arms and this linen is topped with her finest bread. The residents usually sing a welcoming song and each guest takes a piece of bread; eats it; and the party begins. Reading your post and seeing this ceremony again on Lithuanian TV online yesterday makes me yearn for homemade bread!
Christy recently posted..Find Relief From the Heat with Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothies and Mint MojitosMy Profile

17 Charise @ I Thought I Knew Mama July 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

What a wonderful tradition! Thank you for sharing that!

18 Queentob April 16, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I bake my own bread too. Love the way the house smells and the taste is so scrumptious! I love knowing how fresh it is and exactly what’s in it!