Oops… I’m Really a Mama Moments

Ahhh… the beauty of motherhood! The glow of pregnancy, the tender looks between mother and baby, the countless selfless acts a mother performs on a daily basis for her child… They say one becomes a mother the first time she sees her child’s face.

I say you may become a mother at that moment, but you don’t become a mama until you’ve experienced one of the following:

1. You use your spit to clean your child.

It is a primitive action. Animals do this to clean their young in the wild.

It is something that has grossed me out since my own mother did it to remove jelly off my face when I was very small.

I have now succumbed, fought off the disgust, and licked my finger to remove an eyelash from my baby’s face… several times.

2. You leave the house in your slippers (real slippers, not clogs) and don’t care.

After being stuck in the house for several days due to several feet of snow and an icy sloped driveway, Dada, Mama, and Baby went on a big outing to have lunch at a restaurant and to walk around the mall. Just as we were arriving, I realized that I had been so caught up in getting Baby out the door that I was still wearing my slippers… white, cottony fur peaking out from the bottoms of my jeans and all.

I had a minor meltdown in the car, but I walked around Cheesecake Factory and the mall anyway, because I knew no one looked at me anymore. My baby’s got the limelight now (and deserves it!).

3. 7:00 am is the new 11:00 am.

I was recently making brunch plans with friends, and we made a plan to meet up at 11am. One of my dear friends without children mentioned that she hopes she’ll be awake by then.

I took a moment to experience the nostalgia of the thought of sleeping in, and then I stopped and just felt thankful that I got a nice chunk of sleep between 1:30 and 4am the night before.

4. You get in bed next to your husband, but the pillow talk topic is poop.

I snuggle up to my hubby in bed, wearing my red fleece monkey pajamas, give him a kiss goodnight, and whisper, “I really hope Baby poops tomorrow. Now that he does big boy poop instead of liquid explosions, I don’t think he’s pooping enough.”

And then I drift off to sleep.

5. Once too self-concious and tone deaf to sing Happy Birthday in a large group at someone’s birthday celebration, you now have no problem singing “Five Little Monkeys” like a maniac over the sound of your crying child to get him to calm down in public.

Belting out a silly song with lots of people around doesn’t phase me one bit now.

Go ahead ask me to sing anything in public. I have no shame now.

I just realized that I have already accumulated so many of these mama moments over the past seven months, that I’m going to save the rest for another post. So stay tuned for more laughs at my expense!

1 shelley January 27, 2011 at 11:37 am

good morning!
so glad that you popped by to visit. i love meeting new people especially those who have a common interest… special needs teachers obviously have a special place in my heart!! you are such special people and thank you for all you have done!! this post added a smile to my face on this otherwise snowy cold morning! look forward to our 31dbbb and helping each other!
have a great day with you little one…
ps i especially loved the cleaning your child with your saliva… can’t tell you how many times i’ve done that one!! lol
hugs,
shelley
shelley recently posted..Didn’t you know Chicken Soup and Matzo Balls cures allMy Profile

2 I Thought I Knew Mama January 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Aww… thank you, Shelley!

Looking forward to doing 31dbbb together too!

xo,
C

3 MJ January 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I can honestly say I have done all of these things! Glad to have found your blog through the Thirsty Thursday blog hop!
MJ recently posted..Catalog EnvyMy Profile

4 I Thought I Knew Mama January 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Haha, thanks, MJ!

Just visited your blog and I love the Catalog Envy post!

5 Misty January 27, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for following my blog! I’m now following you back:) Have a great week!

Misty
Misty recently posted..I feel like I owe you an explanationMy Profile

6 I Thought I Knew Mama January 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Thank you, Misty!

7 Jenn January 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm

LOL! I’m guilty of #3 and #4
New blog hop follower
Sweet T Makes Three
Jenn recently posted..Cloth Diaper Stash and StationMy Profile

8 Sandie lee January 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Thanks for following Imagination-Cafe Blog.

I’m now following you =)

Sandie

9 Angela I. January 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Love your blog and this post is so special , thanks for stopping by !
Angela

10 I Thought I Knew Mama January 27, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thank you, Angela!!

11 Lori January 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I love your header! How pretty!

Thank you for coming by http://www.adayinmotherhood.com! I am so excited to get to know you! I am following you on twitter now too!

Lori

12 Monica January 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Oh how true all of those are! I’m guilty of so many of them. It got worse after my 2nd son was born… I totally lost all ability to think outside of “mom.” Saw that you recently changed to wordpress – I love the layout and everything is very streamlined. I had a problem getting google friend connect to work earlier but believe its probably a google problem and not your blog.

Found your blog through Thirsty Thursday!

13 Cecelia January 28, 2011 at 12:37 am

LOVE IT!! I’ve had many of these moments. I’ve even gotten into the car withOUT shoes on! No slippers, nothing. Maybe that’s what happens after 3? You’ll have to keep blogging after your 3rd!

14 I Thought I Knew Mama January 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Haha! No shoes on?! That’s awesome!

15 Rachel January 28, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Mamahood is so sweet!

16 Kim Bauer January 29, 2011 at 12:33 am

Yup. You nailed it. I am sure that I have done all of these more than once. To me, there is no longer a distinction between slippers and shoes. They are shoes. Just more comfortable. :)

Nice to meet you.

Kim Bauer

17 Beverley July 17, 2013 at 4:01 am

I too have done all of the above. Before motherhood, I’d have been AGHAST at some of the things I now do for my babies…but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world ;)

18 Charise Rohm Nulsen July 17, 2013 at 7:06 am

I feel the same exact way. ;-)